© 2002-2017

Blackness Well-Crafted - 88%

Skarnek, February 27th, 2013

The Canadian black metal horde, Endless Horizon, are doing powerful things with the early third wave of black metal sound. It's been a long time since I've heard any passion in this kind of shadowy, riff-oriented, classical-tinged brand of metal witchery, yet along came this band to give me a bit more hope for the genre.

There is nothing overblown about the "full" sound that the listener will experience on Annihilation Of Human Beliefs, as songwriting is obviously a key component in the minds of the musicians performing on this release. Bands like Dimmu Borgir went way left-field when exploring their extremity, never to return to this day. It's a shame, due to the fact that there's not a lot of releases that can stand up to albums like Godless Savage Garden or Agathodaimon's Blacken The Angel these days. I'm of the mind that this release is a great example of resurrecting that particular sentiment and vibe, yet with a bit more venom in it's fangs.

Let's not go too far in painting a picture in our heads just yet, however. There are times when this release shows an obvious and healthy love for second-wave black metal's heaviest offerings. For one thing, the preferred method of atmosphere tends to lie solely on acoustic guitars and dynamic passages to create ghostly, stirring melody and emotions- rather than the keyboard-drenched compositions of the aforementioned bands. Take Agathodaimon's best work, cut out a lot of the sad, gothic textures; and we're somewhere in the right battlefield. But there is much more than mere comparisons to be made regarding this group.

There's something fanatical, yet original (yes, I actually used that word) about the sound of this album. Take the final track, "Frozen Soul" for example, with it's thick, muscular tones, amidst the tasteful use of orchestration. Compare it to the shockingly hooky "Carthusian Monastery". We have a thing called diversity here, yet in no way does it mess up the flow of the album. Look at the album cover. Tends to resemble Swallow The Sun's debut, does it not? What's different about it? Well, the answer is that the doomy Finns made sure theirs looked bleak and...well...doomy. Elegant. Annihilation Of Human Beliefs looks scary. Creepy. Just take those differences, and apply it to sound, vibe, and performance. What you have is a scary-good black metal release to explore here, dear metal brethren.

Vocals, drums, bass, guitars (the RIFFS!), and occasional keys are perfectly adequate. There's no weak performance. Any detriments to be found will lie solely within the personal feelings and tastes of the listener. Give this a shot for a good injection of nostalgic-yet-original black metal, circa 1998 in sound.