I'm most definitely going to dance with this - 89%

Thy Shrine, January 21st, 2019

So what we have here is one of those early 90s death-doom records out of England. Now you may think I am dismissing the record entirely due to it being derivative in some way, but I most certainly am not. I would personally argue that this is at least as good as all those classic records from that scene, and is a classic record in its own right.

Musically, it's a similar situation to a record like Paradise Lost's immortal record Icon in that the music is primarily downtrodden, depressing, moody, etc, but it also knows how to fucking ROCK. Amazingly catchy chord progressions that are heavy in that early Sabbath or Saint Vitus vein combined with the amazing melodies of a Paradise lost, My Dying Bride, etc, and the effect is immediately felt. This is a record of atmosphere, but the guitar lines are so goddamned awesome, and beautifully written, as well as emotionally compelling. In fact, I recently rediscovered this by looking through a portion of my CD collection I hadn't combed through in quite some time, as I put it in, I remembered basically the entire thing, because it's that memorable.

Vocals, as has been mentioned any time this particular album gets brought up, are not too great, they definitely get the job done, and don't really hinder my enjoyment at all, but they're kind of goofy, especially in the middle of the first track where the band stops everything except for the vocals. The clean vocals, on the other hand, are actually pretty good, real depressive, and melancholic, obviously perfect for this music.

These are just amazingly catchy, depressing metal songs that actually aren't corny (except maybe the vocals) there's no gimmick, it's just well written songs, cool riffs, cooler melodies, and that's all there needs to be.

I think this is an album the metal crowd should at least be familiar with. It's probably more unknown than known, even though it's real good stuff. Fans of death-doom are obviously the people who this would appeal to, even fans of more traditional type doom should check it out, I'd even say people into Gothic stuff would probably find things to enjoy about it. Fuck it, if you like doom metal, I found something else for you to like.

This albums fucking good, get it now.