Still just as amazing as it ever was - 95%

GuardAwakening, July 14th, 2016
Written based on this version: 2006, CD, Independent

As I currently write this, this album has reached its 10th birthday this year. This Northern California outfit blending aggressive US death metal with face-punching ignorant hardcore topped off with metalcore breakdowns isn't anything you haven't heard before, and you might be wondering how exactly has a deathcore album outlasted a decade of playability without succumbing to an ocean of clones ripping off Job for a Cowboy's Doom-era material? The answer is quite simple, Elysia is just simply amazing and this album is golden-tier stuff. A band in high school probably wouldn't have guessed they'd have people still fucking with their big outing 10 years later, but to me this record remains timeless.

Anything you really want out of brutal music is found on this record. The guitar tone has that awesome early 2000s feel, the vocals are loud in the mix but somehow never interrupt any of the instruments, the snare sounds like somebody banging on the opposite end of a tin trash bin. There's two-step parts, breakdowns and fight riffs galore and the shrieks/low grunts of Zak Vargas fronts the whole assault. Memorable edgy one liners; "dig a ditch and bury the bitch" and the most famous "WHO'S THE FUCKING FAGGOT NOW?" are found on this album. This is the epitome of angsty deathcore and mid 2000s kids with scene haircuts wearing gold foil shirts come to mind when I read these lyrics, which I un-ironically find awesome. It's nostalgic to say the least.

While most deathcore bands fused death metal and metalcore, these guys were more on the hardcore side of the metalcore spectrum. It gave them a unique sound during the MySpace era, and I think it even still shines to this day. While contemporary hardcore is a little more popular now than it was a decade ago with newer bands like Backtrack, Trapped Under Ice and Knocked Loose going around, Elysia was able to incorporate it in their music while still primarily playing metal. There's a lot more two-steps on this album then say... Suicide Silence does (or did), and you can only envision what the moshpit would look like when you hear them across these songs. I'd like to think that the band wanted to play deathcore but not like everyone else is what their goal was.

While it's not technically complex music but rather something to fuel your ignorant and inner-idiot, I think Masochist is a prime brutal album. It has that shine, memorability and sheer awesomeness which has kept it alive for the past 10 years. There has been talk for the past 3 years now of Elysia making a comeback and I sure hope they do. Seeing them play these songs live one more time would be the show to die for. Being a part of that big pile up during the "who's the fucking faggot now" line in "Incinerate" is without a doubt on my bucket list.

From the Ground I Can Touch the Sky... - 95%

Misanthrophagist, January 29th, 2008

Deathcore has become rather generic as of late. Many bands are moving away from their original sound, some for the better, some for the worse. While bands like Job for a Cowboy are becoming boring Cannibal Corpse clones, some deathcore bands like Elysia, Knights of the Abyss, and Arsonists Get All the Girls, are carving a unique niche in the fledgling style.

Elysia is probably my favorite out of any of the -core bands. What attached me to them was their lyrical content and sheer feral sound. Having seen them a few months ago, they have probably one of the best live sets I have ever heard. The band's five year history includes a barrage of line-up changes, controversy surrounding some of their lyrical content, and label troubles, and after all this Elysia is grown to be a stronger and very solid force.

Masochist, their first full-length, is a very powerful release. Comprising of ten tracks of slightly-heavier then normal deathcore, Masochist is one of the more solid releases of the genre from the passed few years. It has the usually parts attributed to any subsidiary of metalcore, breakdowns abound and hardcore chants; however it also has viciousness to it that many of its kin does not. Zak Vargas's vocals are the perfect blend of hardcore screaming and death metal growls and screeches and when combined with the strong presence of the rest of the band, a very strong presence is made. The guitars and bass are all the general grind/melodeath/hardcore riffs lumped rather skillfully into their songs. The drums are on the spot, not too good or bad, they are precise and brutal with the occasional unique fill here and there.

The lyrics of Elysia's Masochist and the band in general are very unique. With the controversy surrounding some of the their more well-know songs such as "Incinerate" and "Filthy", Zak Vargas and Elysia stepped a lyrical step. While "Incinerate" is, without a doubt, their trademark song, and also my personal favorite, comes forward as pointlessly violent but is truely anti-homophobic in its topic. The later songs were about challenging the government and views of individuals that blind them. This combination of topics makes Masochist a lyrically diverse release.

As I say with all deathcore releases if your all elitist and "anti-scene" then this not a release for you. If deathcore is your cup of tea, and if you haven't heard them yet, then go on a downloading site and get Masochist. You won't be able to find it anywhere else as it has been out of print for a while. A very solid release from a very promising and skilled band.

Deathcore at its best. - 89%

mec, December 4th, 2006

Masochist by Elysia is a pretty good CD. With very good break-downs and the generic Deathcore mix of low grunts and screaming. All of the songs are orginal and varied. While the CD does have a few generic riffs and drumwork, overall I wore this album out. Most Metalcore these days are in the process of crossing over to deathcore while still managing to be pretty bad. While these guys started out exactly how they sound today. I dislike bands that change their type of music just to fit a certain kind of crowd. This band is going for the age group that they are - 15-19 year old high school kids. Yes, this album was composed entirely of high school kids, which means they have many years ahead of them to make the perfect Deathcore album...maybe even cross over to "tr00" Death Metal.

While they do recycle old songs from their previous demo's, you could never tell. They reworked the guitars, drums, added some lyrics and threw it on the CD. They did a nice job on it too. The themes they normally talk about in their songs would scare any school official, but to a metalhead, are praised. Decapitate this, burn that, it's a parents worst nightmare. They disorganization of the vocals on the songs make everything sound that much more violent, sadistic, and insane - exactly what they were going for. For a high school band that wouldn't be allowed to play at the high school prom, this album kicks ass...

Songs that deserved to be mentioned: Filthy, Triumph, Incinerate