Awesome album, definitely better than the other. - 92%

WhenWolvesReturn, October 16th, 2004

The members of this band are in other bands, so it's no surprise that they're good musicians (especially considering it's Hate Forest members). I may be maimed for admitting this, but I really do like this band more than hate Forest, it just seems to click better.

The first track is assorted nature sounds, and it's obviously recorded in the woods and then had studio recorded instruments put over top of it. It might've sounded a bit more lo-fi but I wouldn't preferred the instruments to be recorded in the forest that the birds were recorded in. Very docile, and will make the rest of the album catch you off-guard with its Catchyness and overall just depression that goes in to it.

Glare of Autumn - This song really disappointed me when I first listened to it. It seems like the drummer just hits random drums for the first 30 seconds or so, and the guitar is a bit low in the mix. One thing I will say that hit me about all of this release is that the keyboards are at perfect levels throughout the whole release, and the singer is harsh and brutal, just like it should be. This song drags on a tad too long, however, considering that there isn't much guitar sound variation in it. Definitely Not the stand out track of this album.

Sunwheel - This is hands down one of my Top 10 favorite songs of all time. It starts out with a (rarely in black metal) joyish riff and a warm synth tone, with a pounding double bass part. EVERYTHING is perfectly in time in this song throughout the whole thing, and I can't think of anything better to describe it. The first time I heard this song, I was hooked on Drudkh for life. THis is the type of song that makes you just LOVE a band. One unfortunate thing about this song is about 8:47 long, shorter than the first song, but it doesn't drag like the first track! I could listen to this track and that riff for half an hour and it still wouldn't be enough. THE best song Drudkh has EVER produced.

Wind of the Night Forest - This song hangs out at the darker side of the band, obviously. It's a pretty big downfall in feeling from the previous song "Sunwheel". Not to skimp on their excellency, there's more overly awesome simplistic riffing and drum beats. The drummer is playing 16th notes on the hi-hat with varying beat patters on the rest of the drums. At just under 10 minutes, this song is the perfect length, not too long, not too short.

The first Snow - A largely Ethereal song that gives a feeling of both hope and desperation. I can't think of much to say about this song, but the guitar seems to play the same thing over and over and over without much change in what chords are being played; however, the synthesizers are as lovely sounding as ever.

All in all - I'd say this is a VERY good sit-down-and-listen album, but not one I would take on a very envigorating walk through the woods. This would fit well if you were camping out under the stars and wanted something to listen to, especially if there was a light dusting of snow on the ground. This is a black metal MASTERPIECE of an album.