Fun, before you listen to an entire album - 60%

PorcupineOfDoom, October 5th, 2014

Okay, let's face the facts about this band: they're pretty much known as a band not to see live. That much is apparent on most (or all) of their albums, full of seemingly random chords that must be impossible to play live. However, what no one can deny is that their stuff is damn catchy. Who's never heard one of their songs and been captivated by the music?

As you might expect, the first time I (and probably anyone else my age) heard Dragonforce was on Guitar Hero. The music fits in perfectly there, and indeed they tended to be he hardest songs in the games on the guitar. Something I did notice about 'Fury of the Storm' though was that the song generally isn't that complex other than the intro and solo (which is admittedly about half of the song). There are a few hooks that are pretty complex, but everything else sounds quite straightforward. Drums are insanely fast, absolutely killing the drummer's arms no doubt. Vocals are... okay, I guess. They're not really my liking, but the only reason I would listen to this band is just because they're fun. I mean, no offense to the band but I wouldn't become a fan or anything.

So anyway, I looked into them a bit more and decided to listen to the full-length that the aforementioned track appears on. First of all, the length of all the songs are long. A bit too long for my liking. Even the shortest songs are over five minutes in length, which I feel maybe crosses over my limits of song length.

Pretty much every song is kind of the same as well. They all sound different, but they also sound the same (it's kind of hard to explain, but they all consist of the same kind of general formula). It's kind of like looking at twins that aren't identical; although they're not exact clones they are very similar. The only song that sounds slightly different is 'Dawn Over a New World', but even that follows a pretty similar formula. This aspect is probably their biggest failing, because if any of the bands that I listen to pumped out albums that every song was predictable on then I simply wouldn't like them as much as I do.

The best thing I can say about this album is that the solos are all epic. Sadly though, the entire album review isn't based on solos no matter how good they are, and even they tire after nearly an hour of listening. In fact, they begin to tire after a few songs. The sheer length kind of puts me off, probably because a solo shouldn't make up half of a song.

Pretty much what I'm saying here is that needs to be a delicate balance of guitars being epic and blazing all over the place and being all the same chugs over and over again. If it leans too far on either side then the band just falls out of the zone that I can listen to them in. Dragonforce is fun, but I think that maybe if they aim to be taken seriously by most of the metal community they need to calm it down a little and rethink their formula for songs (also guys, the song length is really a bit of a problem. They don't need to be that long). However, for entertaining me for a bit I think they do deserve a decent score, so maybe about 60% is fair. It's not that it's bad, it's just that I can't take them too seriously.