My Introduction to Metal - 95%

Vegetarian_Cannibal, July 17th, 2010

DragonForce was the band that started me down the metal path. Some people have various reasons for hating them, but I will always love them. And that's not just because they were the first band I really loved. They consider themselves to be an "extreme power metal" band, and I must say they do seem to push every element of the genre to its limits. And I think the way they do it is cool. The lyrics are extremely cheesy, the guitars are extremely fast, and the choruses are extremely fun and catchy. If you don't like power metal, you probably hate DragonForce even more than most other power metal bands. But if you are a fan of power metal, I think you should ignore what people think of them and check them out.

Some people think that DragonForce's songs all sound the same. I don't think that's true, but I think that this album is the one where the songs sound the most same-ish. That doesn't bother me, though. This is the only album with any harsh vocals on it. I think they add a nice touch to some of the songs. Other than those things, I don't think there's anything in particular that makes this album different than the others. I guess it's kind of like Sonic Firestorm because it sounds pretty generic, but that's fine with me as long as it's still good.

This album kicks off with "Through the Fire and Flames," a song that got popular after its inclusion in Guitar Hero III. This is a great song, and I think it sounds different from the others, but that could be just because I had already heard it so many times before hearing the rest of the album. I'm a little annoyed that this song got so much more famous here in America than any other power metal song in existence, just because of Guitar Hero. But I guess I can't complain, because admittedly that was how I discovered DragonForce, who then helped me discover power metal.

This album is full of great songs. "Revolution Deathsquad" is an awesome song, though really generic. It's just kind of got the catchy verses and chorus of any other song, though with more harsh vocals. I do wish that the guitar solo wasn't so long, though. "Storming the Burning Fields" is really cheesy, but I still love it. After hearing the guitar intro and the "whoa-oa-oahs" in this song, you'll see what I mean. "Operation Ground and Pound" is the second single, and possibly my favorite. It's just got great verses, an amazing chorus, a nice solo, and a really awesome music video. One of my all time favorite music videos, right here. "Body Breakdown" is cool. It's got a lot of different instruments that sound weird but awesome at the same time. The verses are relatively quiet but still fast. I think this is one of the more unique songs on the album. "The Flame of Youth" also has some weird parts in it, and has a really catchy chorus, as always. "Trail of Broken Hearts" is the closer, and this is the only time DragonForce has closed with a ballad. If you ask me, they should do it more often. It's a nice way to close off the album, though admittedly I like "Starfire" and "Dawn Over a New World" more.

"Cry For Eternity" is the one song I'm not that big on. I guess for me it just lacks the speed, intensity, and catchiness of the other songs. It's also a little long, which always makes mediocre songs seem even worse. I'm not saying that this is a bad song. It's just not as good as the others.

I think it's worth it to get the special edition version, or at least just buy the song "Lost Souls in Endless Time" from iTunes. This song is really different, and is one of my favorites. It's got a nice keyboard solo, which you never really hear from DragonForce. The vocals are really high-pitched, and the lyrics are cheesy but hilarious. The chorus us awesome.

That about sums it up. I would recommend this album to any power metal fans, or anyone who likes bands that are out of the ordinary. This band is really easy to get into, even if you don't like metal. I think they'll be just as good without ZP Theart, and I'm excited to hear what they'll sound like with the new singer. I'll never stop loving DragonForce.