The Shadows Of Barbagia Have Risen - 90%

diogoferreira, March 27th, 2015

South America, especially Argentina and Chile, has a yet-to-be fully promoted and discovered extreme scene, and in the past few days I’ve come across a great black metal project called Downfall Of Nur who have just released the debut album “Umbras De Barbagia” through the growing label Avantgarde Music.

After an intro of obscure colors comprised by a dark ambient sound and spaced out echoed guitars, the following track “II – The Golden Age” starts in a sad manner with a Nordic taste through flutes, bagpipes and acoustic guitars showcasing the band’s folk side. Then, the electric guitars and the slow paced drums come into scene accompanying the aforementioned instruments. However, we have to wait a few more minutes until Downfall Of Nur show us what they really want to achieve: atmospheric black metal that among some dissonances is able to create a beautiful and nostalgic wall of sound.

Those moments are completed by suffering and somehow strident growls reminding us of the legendary underground project Paysage d’Hiver, however not so raw. On the other hand, we can find some calm and smooth sections – both instrumental and vocal – as a doom metal approach with a folkloric touch. That approaching ends to gain an organic body due to the extremely melodic and nostalgic lead guitar, but without verging on depression.

The band’s folk side doesn’t get limited to the first moments of the album since we will also find those arrangements during the record – whether it be in speedy or slow passages, like in “III – The Downfall Of Nur” or “IV – Ashes”. In addition to the instruments I’ve mentioned, strings weren’t forgotten and, so, they give a more tragic flowing to the songs. Finally, having in count the band’s core regarding atmospheric black metal, it’s expectable – if you are into the scene – that we will be absorbed by long and repetitive parts which emanate a tremendously aura of lightness even if we are dealing with a heavy genre.

Originally written at www.againstmagazine.com