© 2002-2024

Domination Through Impurity > Masochist > Reviews > KC
Domination Through Impurity - Masochist

Catchy and aggressive technical death metal - 81%

KC, March 5th, 2014

Domination Through Impurity works because it’s using technicality not unlike Necrophagist and Psycroptic with brutality and aggression. What compelled me to write this review of a release that’s not fresh off the counter is just that too often you have bands playing technical death metal without aggression and that makes all the difference. What’s the point of self-indulgence when you lose the essence of death metal itself? And it’s not the hyper-technicality of latter Death, Pavor, or Cadaver of the old times, nor is it the discordant technicality of the newer style of bands like Zealotry, Diskord, or even Obliteration. This band’s keeping it real, and by that I mean it’s playing brutal death metal with technicality that’s comparable to Malignancy levels, but it’s far more catchy and coherent. I don’t want to sit through an album of riffs that seem arbitrary and illogical, yet at the same time I don’t want hyper-technical death metal without hooks. This one fits right between all of that with conventional riffing meets hyper-technicality meets brutality. That’s what made me want to review this album comprising members of Psycroptic (live), Lust of Decay, and Shuriken Cadaveric Entwinement, among many others. It’s that category of death metal and I in fact had the band’s debut in my collection which wasn’t really remarkable. I was all the more pleased to stumble upon this CD and be stunned by it. Don’t you love it when bands excel?

Joe Payne handles the guitars and vocals while adept behind the kit, Jordan Varela gives him great company. On this record they sound far more confident and there’s that enthusiasm that’s missing on the first release. I particularly love the ambitious 6-minute track Path To Righteousness which dispels the band’s sustainability of our attention and the doubts of all that. Too often you come across albums that don’t sustain our attention. It’s mostly just hit and miss and while you can’t expect a riveting album from start to finish always, which was mostly the case with say Atrocity and Death, this comes pretty damn close and gratifies you when you’re looking for technicality with extremity. And it’s got that Necrophagist quality of catchiness which other bands lack. At the same time there are riffs from the old death metal school of technicality and there’s the brutal death metal delivery. Overall, it works rather well, although the band gets repetitive towards the end. With a more structured approach and emphasis on clean riffing than overt flamboyancy could do wonders, but the band is already impressing.

This band was hyped when it first started out, but this one went under the radar for some reason. It’s even better than the debut and most of the ones that followed when it comes to enjoying it. And you’re tempted to invest more listens into this album because the rewards are richer each time.

Originally online at Transcending Obscurity - www.transcendingobscurity.com