getting there, but still not there - 62%

RapeTheDead, December 2nd, 2019

After putting out The Singularity and getting what I can only imagine to be a medicore reception, Divinity decided to forego any label connections (something tells me Candlelight didn’t pay out as much as they had hoped) and released three EPs in a story-style format, kinda similar to how Cryptopsy did, although something tells me Divinity’s fall from grace wasn’t quite as strong.

It sounds like Divinity does better when they’re not bound to a contract, because these songs sound like they flow way easier and sound way more comfortable with themselves than the spastic, tryhard material that was present on The Singularity. Sean Jenkins abuses his Melissa Cross-approved Randy Blythe much less, and lets its seep into his clean singing a lot less - on “Lucid Creator” it sounds like his vocal line fits the music, which is something I never said with the last album. In general, they wander in the same direction a long more, with the solos being a bit more drawn out and holy shit, they repeat stuff a few times to let it set it! Not only that, but I’m not constantly being pulled in directions - with a more focused concept, it seems like the songs on The Immortalist have a lot easier of a time getting off track.

Granted, there are still a few holdovers from past Divinity albums that I find unappealing - the reliance on start-stop moments reminiscent of 00s melodeathcore could be done away with, as these guys are clearly better off when they embrace the more progressive and melodic elements of their sound and do away with the choppier thrash/groove moments. That being said, “The Dead Speak From Beyond” plays around with a lot of thrashier and even quasi-black-metal elements and it sounds pretty enticing at first. There are still a couple moments in each track where these guys lose me, though. There’s just too many fucking ideas! I was hoping that a long-form concept album would allow the band to focus their sound on different areas for each EP, but they still had to put that final track at the end that’s a long-form blender of every feasible influence Divinity’s ever had. This is a noticeable improvement from the last full-length and shows some more focus and refinement of the band’s ideas, but I need just a wee bit more to keep me coming back.