Without Tim Yeung, there is nothing here... - 70%

tentornasunder, November 3rd, 2011

There is nothing I can write about this album that hasn't already been said in the other reviews here, so I won't go diving into that. Divine Heresy is pretty much driven by Tim Yeung and he is the sole reason I listen to this band. There are some good riffs to be found, but more on that in a second.

DH's music is very predictable: a verse here, a chorus there, and a bridge to lead into the final chorus. It's all been done to death in a mainstream metal context, but from this band you wouldn't really want to hear it any other way. Divine Heresy is EXTREMELY one dimensional in every regard, which is why Tim Yeung fits in so well. As fast of a drummer he is, he is a one dimensional drummer. Without his double bass speed, his appeal pretty much fades. There are no memorable fills to speak of, just double bass up the ass to match Dino's so-so riffery. In the drummer hierarchy, Tim may be a good drummer, but just doesn't compare to many other extreme metal greats.

And that brings me to Dino. He brings nothing creative or interesting to the table whatsoever. In fact, he pretty much embodies exactly how an eight string guitar isn't supposed to be played. There is so much tremolo-picking and chugging throughout this album that your interest is lost in the first few songs.

The new vocalist isn't as good as Tommy was. Nothing else to say about that.

So all in all, this album gets a 70% because Tim Yeung is a very entertaining drummer to listen to and because at its core, this is in fact a very heavy metal album, if not predictable and somewhat bland. My favorite track has to be Monolithic Doomsday Devices.