If only they had a second guitarist! - 73%

davkov85, August 19th, 2009

Divine Heresy is a band formed four years ago, featuring names like Dino Cazares (Fear Factory) and Tim Yeung (Hate Eternal). Let me start by noting that this cover is not just crap but also misleading. Having a look at it, you might think it’s some sort of black metal. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The music is fairly modern metalcore / deathcore, trying to balance between the commerce and the really harsh. The question is how far they can get with this strategy.

Opening track Facebreaker certainly represents the tough death metal direction; track ten Darkness Embedded is a more balladistic, slower song. The other tracks fall somewhere between these two.

Although not very much like any of the two aforementioned bands, you can definitely feel who brought what from his mother band. Blastbeats make the music definitely more brutal than average metalcore, and Dino’s staccato industrial riffing is also typical (especially in Enemy Kill, Letter to Mother, Anarchaos).

The instrumentals do well. I have already praised the drums and the guitars, but the vocalist is also cool. Beyond screaming and screaching, he nicely delivers that sort of clean vocals typical of modern metalcore, and also a raspier sort of singing. However, the music is in desperate need of a second guitarist. Of course, there is nothing to wonder about; Dino is infamous for his incompatibility, but this way I miss the plus that could make the songs really memorable.

The best parts in my view are those where they managed to get rid of metalcore clichés. For example, we can hear a great chorus in Letter to Mother, reminiscent of Gothenburg melodeath style, and a though recitation / airy, chanting chorus combo in Redefine (quite in the veins of Fear Factory). Outstanding is the title track, beginning almost as black metal, continuing in ice cold ruthless riffing.

Among the weaker moments are the not very convincing tough-guy flavored, nu metalish Monolithic Doomsday Devices. About ten years ago you could hear this kind of music everywhere – and I haven’t got to like it any more since that time.

All in all not a bad album. Although they do hold a promise, the real thing is yet to come. If they took in another guitarist, that could do a miracle to these tracks.

Originally written for: http://www.kronosmortus.hu