A substantial step up in quality for this band. - 73%

AnalogKid, November 21st, 2014
Written based on this version: 2013, CD, Fireball Records AS

Feed On Your Misery is my first exposure to Norwegian progressive metal band Divided Multitude (who probably shouldn’t need any introduction), and while that nation/genre combination ought to say enough in its own right, the cover art (which, I’m sorry, is just ugly as sin) threw me off the trail for a short while. Being that the band is now putting out its fifth studio album and is signed to Nightmare Records, there must be something going on.

Divided Multitude’s style is that of roaring (sometimes literally), high energy melodic progressive metal that flirts with power metal at times (see the chorus to “2 4 7”). Singer Sindre Antonsen has a voice that reminds me a bit of Ecki Singer (formerly of Silverlane), while his style sounds more akin to that of Nils K. Rue (Pagan’s Mind) or even Robert Stjärnström (Machinae Supremacy) at various points throughout the album. An interesting combination to be sure, but I find Antonsen to be quite a capable singer.

Great supporting key work, from bright, spacey tones to Hammond organ, permeates the album, and is the most often-featured form of instrumentation. In many cases, the guitar work on Feed On Your Misery tends to be almost solely rhythmic. In a sense, I would say that while this album is fairly heavy, it is not terribly dense, and is actually quite easily to digest by progressive metal standards. Take the titular opener (after the instrumental “Esperanto”) for example, which has enough hooks to capture the attention of power metal fans.

Despite being fairly compact and potent, one of my chief complaints (and it’s not a major one) with Feed On You Misery is the lack of real diversity within songs. Many individual tracks are quite repetitious within themselves, despite the level of complexity implied by the “prog” label. My other disappointment is the plodding of the guitars. There’s some great rhythmic support, the occasional effective lead, and some very good solos (see “Scars”) but similar to djent or metalcore (don’t read *too* deeply into that), the guitar is almost a member of the rhythm section for 75% of the album – filling a percussive and rhythmic role and not much else. While this isn’t a great overarching problem, it does become a bit dull during prolonged listens.

On the whole, however, Divided Multitude has created a heavy and engaging album with Feed On Your Misery. I recommend the album to those who enjoy melodic prog, especially with a heavy, modern sound, as well as to those prog/power listeners that are looking for something catchier, yet accessible, on the prog side of that fusion genre. Just don’t let the cover art scare you away (it really is ugly).

Original review written for Black Wind Metal