© 2002-2021

Full circle - 65%

WilliamAcerfeltd, May 9th, 2021

Given the hype around the first Dissection album being released in 11 years, I could see the hype over this album being released and after listening to it I can understand why a lot of fans were disappointed at the time when it was released. Long after the dust has settled and now the age of Jon himself when he died, I finally decided to give this album a listen.

Overall, this album sounds nothing like the previous two Dissection albums. Whilst the first two were classics, Jon is well past his creative prime here. In fact, if I knew nothing about Dissection and had listened to either SOTLB or TSBL, I would have no idea they were written by the same band.

The album has some catchy beats here and there but it’s nothing special. While there are some pretty decent songs on this album, it’s balanced by some pretty dull ones. All the songs on the album are played at roughly the same pace which for lack of a better term is played at a medium speed. The production of the album is good and the music is well played and professionally done. To summarise, the musicianship of this album is good, not great. It just gets the job done Don’t expect to be dazzled by some amazing skill, apart from maybe for some solos on this album. Some of the highlights on this album are the song Xeper-I-Set and Maha Kali. Also worthy of a mention is the song Chaosophia, which is a short acoustic song similar to what could be found on TSBL. Unlike the rest of the album, it actually does sound like the Dissection of old.

The lyrics for the most part are pretty cringey. It’s clear that Jon believed this stuff. It’s hard to decipher how Jon came to believe such nonsense. Basically, the lyrics deal with cover Jon’s belief in the occult and it encompasses dark gods and chaos and Satanism. As another reviewer once said: “if Jon believes he’s anything more than blood and guts, he’s a fool.” True. As a quick digression: whilst metalheads are quick to call out the harmfulness of Judeo-Christian beliefs, when it comes to Satanic beliefs there is silence. Personally, I believe all harmful beliefs should be called out, if someone had said “hey Jon, you’re deluded, Satan and doesn’t really exist”, the perhaps maybe, just maybe he would still be alive today.

Concluding, this album is forgettable. It’s not bad but it’s just not anything special. As stated above, giving how amazing this album’s predecessor was, it’s understandable why there was disappointment at the time of release. It would have been interesting had Jon released this back in his creative prime, back in the mid-90s, perhaps had that happened, it would have been their opus magnum, sadly however that was not the case. On that note, Dissection’s legacy ended not with a bang but a whisper.