Dead angels lie here - 90%

NightOfTheRealm, May 28th, 2004

I am very pleased to have Dissection – LIVE LEGACY in my hands finally issued onto CD. Dissection fans, there is no need to read further in the review. If you have their “Frozen on Wacken 1997” bootleg, then you’ll want to pick up this album, as this is the same recording, with much improved sound.

LIVE LEGACY is the 6 song, 40-minute performance of the band’s appearance at the Wacken Festival in 1997. Oh hell yeah. Pure, unadulterated melodic black-death metal from one of Sweden’s ultimate bands. The recording here is almost as good as a live recording can be, and is obviously soundbord in origin. It’s hard to tell, but I don’t think this recording was overdubbed or modified in any way. The drum tone is punchy, and the guitars are well mixed and ominous. Really, one would look hard to find many better live recordings.

The major limitation on this album is its length, or lack of it. 40 minutes is much too short for a band as mighty as Dissection. Major bonus points go out to LIVE LEGACY for being the complete performance, including the crowd interaction and reaction. The setlist, too, is very good, despite its brevity. In any case, any Dissection set with the mandatory “Throns of Crimson Death” is a fine set in my book.

LIVE LEGACY is a worthy addition to the illustrious Dissection catalog, and is a worthy upgrade for anyone wanting to improve on their “Frozen in Wacken” coaster. I’m glad I sought the upgrade as the booklet also includes Jon’s commentary on each song, an interesting read. LIVE LEGACY would even serve as a great introduction to the band, as all the mandatory tracks are here. Now, it’s only a matter of time before Jon Nödtveidt gets out of jail and spreads Dissection’s unholiness again over Scandanavia.

(originally written by me for www.metal-rules.com, March, 2003)