Perfect - 100%

yogsothoth, April 16th, 2006

I don't consider many albums to be 100 percents, but this album qualifies. I truly don't understand why so many people bag on this album. The riffs are very heavy and very catchy. My roommate's girlfriend just walked in on me air-guitaring and headbanging to the main riff of the title track. Every single song has that effect on me. The riffs are aggressive, intense, and they are some of my favorite riffs from any death metal album.

This album is a little different from other death metal releases in that the drumming is not ridiculously fast, there's not a whole bunch of fluttering kick drum rolls, and it's not incredibly complex. It's pretty fast, but not as fast as bands like Hate Eternal or Cryptopsy, and there's a lot of songs that are mid-paced. To me, Fred Estby has never been a drummer like Derek Roddy or Flo Mounier; he doesn't need to show off a lot, he just needs to keep the beat, and play grooves and fills that fit the music. On this album, he does his job flawlessly.

The vocals are great; Matti Karki has a great growl that sounds distinct from other death metal vocalists. The guitar solos sound fantastic; they almost remind me of In Flames, if In Flames were more committed to making death metal that is both melodic and brutal.

I don't know what else to say about this album. It's my favorite Dismember album, one of my favorite death metal albums, and one of my favorite albums of all time.