© 2002-2021

Inn i evighetens mørke - 64%

Lars_Stian, June 17th, 2017

Though ''Inn i Evighetens Mørke'' had potential, it's not an amazing release. Sure, it has its moments, however overall I think it could have done a lot better. I certainly understand what the band was going for: atmospheric and symphonic black metal, but it's just not very interesting.

The first of the three songs is ''Inn i Evighetens Mørke (part I)''. This is the best song on the EP, despite some flaws. It opens up with a melancholic piano passage which is quite nice, and sets a somber mood, and is later joined by the full band. The song is instrumental, and the guitars and synth compliment each other well, and though the guitars are distorted, the playing resembles that of an acoustic guitar. This makes the song nice and atmospheric, and quite relaxing in a sense. The only real negative aspect with this track in particular is that it feels a little stretched out, however it is overall quite a good track, and is easily the best part of the EP.

The second track, ''Inn i Evighetens Mørke (part II)'' is definitely the worst track on the album. It's pointless filler, and feels like a blatant ripoff of Enslaved's sound. Luckily it's only two minutes long. This track is less atmospheric and more ''heavy'', but the riffs are quite forgettable and lifeless. There's just absolutely nothing that stands out, with the exception of ripping of Enslaved's synth style (the synth writing heard on ''Heimdallr'', for instance). The third and final track, ''Raabjørn speiler draugheimens skodde'', is somewhat of a mix between the two previous songs; it starts with an atmospheric, synthbased melody, which is fairly captivating and pleasant, and it goes on for a while, but then it becomes like the second track: lifeless and forgettable.

The vocals on the EP are fairly good. They are lower pitched than most black metal vocals, and much more growl-like, and, in a sense, I guess they sound quite ''evil'', which is something many black metal vocalists aspire to sound like, so I guess they're good. The lyrics are also quite, or should I say, the lyrics for ''Raabjørn speiler draugheimens skodde'' are quite good, as they're the only lyrics I've found. Nonetheless, they are quite good, the imagery and atmosphere in the lyrics are rather good, and are somewhat similar to Emperor's lyrics, only in Norwegian.

The drums are also fairly good, it fits well with what's being played, and the drums know their place. The drumming is quite simple, however the simplicity fits well with the atmosphere and mood. The sound of the drums are also fairly good; they sound a bit metallic, but it honestly fits well with the music. The drums aren't. in my opinion, too loud nor too quiet in the mix. The production is pretty much the same as on ''For All Tid'', as in it's alright. It's certainly not crystal clear, however black metal isn't particularly known for exquisite production. Compared to other releases from the Norway at the time, the production is very good.

''Inn i Evighetens Mørke (part I)'' saves the album from getting an actual bad rating; had it been only the two latter songs, it may have gotten half of the score I gave it now. To me, it seems as if the band just took some material they didn't want on their debut, but didn't want to throw away either, so they just coughed up an EP. To me, this is just a much worse ''For All Tid''. I guess I'd recommend it for loyal fans of the Dimmu-fellas, but to those more sceptical of the band, I'd recommend sticking with either ''For All Tid'' or ''Stormblåst''.