The beginning of the world's best Sympho BM act - 95%

DracuLeo, August 12th, 2011

Ah, what a pleasure to have my first review on this site be for the ever famous Dimmu Borgir's For All Tid! I remember the first time I've given this album a listen. My immediate reaction upon hearing Under Korpens Vinger was "what a creepy song this is!", and still this came to be one of Dimmu's finest releases to date. Now let's see why.

The first and most important reason why this album entranced me was because of the beautiful atmosphere that the music has. Each track has its own flair and memorable riffs. I also enjoyed the variation of the keyboard sounds, from the mournful strings and pianos of Det Nye Riket to the happy mood flutes of Stien. It is quite refreshing if you grow tired of the grandiose orchestras that Dimmu now hire to aid them with their music.

As soon as the album starts, you are greeted into the melancholic landscapes of Norway via one of the most beautiful keyboard intros ever: Det Nye Riket! Even though the lyrics speak about the fury of Pagans and Satanists and how they shall crush the oppressing Christians in the name of their lord and master, Satan, the song sounds quite sad and haunting instead of the feeling of anger you would expect from such lyrics. Still, this song serves as a prelude not only for the second track, but for every track on this album due to its haunting atmosphere. The following track, Under Korpens Vinger, was and still is obscure like most melodic black metal is today. This song has all of the conventions of a typical melodic black metal song, from the tremolo-picked intro to the atmospheric vibe with a melodic guitar sound all the way through and the perfect vocal substance for any melodic black metal courtesy of Silenoz. The keyboard is used in a way that a band like Emperor would never use. It sounds much more like melodic black metal as opposed to symphonic. All in all, Under Korpens Vinger is a song that allows you to enter the dark castle that you've been waiting for after hearing the first track of the album.

Over Bleknede Blaner Til Dommedag brings some clean operatic vocals to the table along with the return of the sad strings from the first track. The mix of Aldrahn's singing with Silenoz's and Shagrath's shrieking is a great feature as it pioneered the use of operatic male vocals into black metal. Just by closing your eyes while listening to this song you will find yourself in the land of fjords in the middle of a winter storm, ready to cross the high mountains, and quite ironically, the following 2 songs add more to the theme. Stien, which was originally planned to be an instrumental, creates a more joyful atmosphere with its flute and gives you the feeling of walking through a silent and peaceful forest as the sun slowly sets. Glittertind, however, adds a more epic feeling with its synthesized choirs and fast-paced guitar riffing and drumming. Even though this track is an instrumental, Shagrath and Silenoz still decided that they would shriek a bit on it, as if they were on the top of a mountain and had nothing better to do than to scream... after all, Glittertind is the second highest mountain in Norway.

Moving on, we reach the title track of the album which happens to be one of my top favorites from this band. The clean guitars in the intro create the perfect atmosphere for the battle which is about to follow. Overall, you have the feeling of sadness, fear, and subsequently, anger. As the black metal part begins, we are greeted with great tremolo-picked riffs and haunting strings. Silenoz's growls are as powerful as ever and contribute to the atmosphere created by the keyboards. The simple listen of this song makes me imagine an empty battlefield through which an army of black demons march toward what shall be an epic battle. They rage, they are sad, they are bloodthirsty, and they know they will win and reign For All Tid.

Hunnerkongens Sorgsvarde Ferd Over Steppene starts with some fast drumming and guitars which soon are joined by the orchestral strings. The rest of the track will sound pretty much like the intro. This song tells the story of Attila the Hun and how he crushed entire cities under his wrath. A fitting character for a black metal song, though I think that Vlad the Impaler would have been a better choice. Raabjorn Speiler opens with another haunting keyboard passage which soon is joined by the melodic guitars in order to create yet another ghostly feeling song. The riffs are very well written and are sure to catch the listener's ear. Den Gjemte Sannhets Hersker sounds like a mix of the title track and Hunnerkongens, but is still an awesome song. It features another sad piano near the end and then the song ends with an even sadder guitar.

And thus come the final tracks of the album, Inn I Evighetens Morke (parts I and II), which completes this dark spiritual journey in an epic way. The first part is a haunting instrumental with a piano intro and catchy guitar and bass melodies, whereas the second part is filled with brutal black metal and loud shrieks which will make you sure that even though the album has ended, the darkness is there to stay.

Overall, this is an amazing album and I would strongly recommend it to black metal fans, but also to dark ambient ones and to new Dimmu fans which would like to try a taste of the band's roots.
Favorite tracks: Det Nye Riket, Under Korpens Vinger, Glittertind, For All Tid, and Raabjorn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde.