© 2002-2021

Perfect. - 100%

Crick, May 27th, 2009

What's it matter that a traditional structure provides the easiest-to-absorb forms of music? What's it matter that music itself is and has always been slowly devouring itself over and over again in a whirlpool devoid of artistic talent, leaving only those who wish to swim away to carry on any sort of credibility in the art form? It doesn't matter at all, not one bit. As insipid and stupid as the many different "visionaries" of the world may be, there are always things that make music itself worth existing. Things beyond the norm that make you just stare off into nothingness in sheer awe. This album is very much so one of those things, one of the few works I've come across that I find "perfect".

What could possibly be so jaw-droppingly good, so ickily sticky, so compelling as to warrant a perfect score? One of the most beautiful combinations I've ever come across. The riffs sound like some sort of twisted form of Broadway music at times, at others they seem more like droning soundscapes inside the head of a heroine addict. They're just so wonderfully dynamic and complex without seeming convoluted. Many of them sound genuinely SAD! Not in the typical "suicidal depressive black bdsm whateveritis" garbage, they sound accepting like someone who now knows they're doomed to die and doesn't particularly want to fight it. Accented by bombastic drumming (sure, it's provided by a machine, but the production makes it sound so lifelike - more on that in a bit) and a wide array of other influences, the music just grows and morphs all the time. It's through this method that it manages to stay fresh and memorable indefinitely, to rise above music that will be forgotten with time.

Toxik's vocals are similar in the sense that they portray a ridiculously wide variety of emotions, but are different from the traditional fare. He does do the odd traditional black metal growl, particularly "Organisation Contamination", but they're much more rare. He prefers to shout in a very pissed off, ranting sort of way. It makes me picture a mad Frenchman wandering through a dirty alleyway, denouncing anyone he comes across as filth. Other times he mimics the sad qualities of the riffs, sounding like he's singing about how beautiful whatever awful fate lies ahead truly is. They're performed with a great amount of honesty and conviction, something that's painfully absent from most music now. What's more, they're performed entirely in french! The beauty of the language really makes itself apparent here, accented by the lyrics (not published, but easily understandable a most of the time for those who know the language) about disgust and contempt towards our squeaky clean, overly moralistic society.

Speaking of the modern world, we've come a long way in the field of electronics over the years. It'd be foolish to think that the use of electronic instruments would never come into all other sorts of musical realms, and as such they come in here. Both electronic music elements and sampling mingle purposefully with all the other crazy structures to add more and more facets to an already huge amount of work. The opener, "Incubation", would not be the same without the peculiar trip-hop style and powerful snare, or the pulsating electric beats merged with a section of one of Beethoven's symphonies. Indeed, many influences come together on this album to culminate in one grandiose piece of work that, at times, seems to almost transcend music. Hell, at one point the band unashamedly rip-off the theme from the Godfather - but it doesn't sound out of place at all. It just flows right along and seems completely normal. It all works together in beauty and harmony.

It all sounds contrived and over-indulgent, I know, but it really is true. I see it as a sign of truly timeless compositions. Something that's just so big and powerful that it lends itself to such detailed descriptions, something that sticks with you forever and dares to be better than others. This really is one such album, and I find absolutely nothing wrong with it. Even the production aids it, being somewhat grainy yet feeling just warm enough. It's all done just right. It's perfect.

Recommended for fans of Unexpect and, to some extent, Sigh and Wormfood.

Highlights: "Venin Intemporelle, Rouille Universelle, Satan" and "Diapsiquir" if I HAVE to choose. But I don't, so all of them god dammit!