© 2002-2022

Diabolos Rising > 666 > Reviews
Diabolos Rising - 666

Lousy - 15%

Felix 1666, August 5th, 2022

Mika Luttinen has been involved in a really great album, Impaled Nazarene’s “Ugra Karma”. But this does not mean that he has the license to produce bullshit. Unfortunately this is exactly what he did when it came to Diabolos Rising. Together with a veteran of the Greek scene, he wanted to create an extremely ugly cocktail of ritualistic, industrial aggro sounds. Don’t expect typical riffs, but quite annoying streams of keyboard lines, sometimes weird, sometimes harsh, mostly just expressionless. With a lot of good will, perhaps it is possible to say that the slightly oriental yet synthetic “Vinnum Sabbati” has at least a certain charm, but it is also not free from idiotic sequences (for example the percussion part which is accompanied by incomprehensible muttering while any form of melody is conspicuous by its absence).

But generally speaking, the album just delivers the computerized opposite of art. Experienced listeners of extreme metal laugh their heads off at the oh so nasty computer drum salvos with which the two jokers want to make an impression. Anyway, I walk through the boring landscapes of industrial noise, Luttinen plays the vocal God with a commanding yet completely irrelevant voice. Even the most intensive track “Sathanas Lead Us Through” (above all, please lead me through this so-called work of art unscathed) gives me more or less nothing, because it fails to trigger any emotions. The second “highlight” of “666” is “Sorcery – Scientia Maxima”. It’s melody line at the beginning is among the most ridiculous ever recorded and every beginner would be ashamed of himself for it, but as the song progresses, it reveals some harmonies that could work in the hands of competent musicians, for example on one of the late Master’s Hammer albums.

M-A lists the title track as “instrumental”, but - official complaint! - that’s a lie, because there are six minutes without any instruments and without any vocals. Just silence – haha, this is the best song here, so to say. Too bad that the closer wakes me up again with its stupid keyboard lines. Maybe its first half wants to bring the lousy album to a mild end, but it is just superfluous. And this is exactly the term that characterizes this stinker, this malicious caricature of a good music release. Bulldozer also had their electro period, but at least they knew they could not be taken seriously. Diabolos Rising probably actually thought their acoustic trash is really relevant. Mistake! If “penis rising” in front of a beautiful girl that loves you is the best thing you can experience, Diabolos Rising is more or less the exact opposite of that. Don’t know whether Luttinen shares my point of view.

666? No, 16! - 16%

DC68, March 30th, 2018
Written based on this version: 1994, CD, Osmose Productions

I am sure that everyone from time to time has his down days. So do I. What better anti-depressant than to re-visit some old classics and write a review. It is my pleasure to bring to your undivided attention one of those releases. I still remember when I found this irresistible piece of art. In a time of no internet research and YouTube, I do recall well my fathomless brilliance of Sherlock Holmes-esque deduction abilities that convinced me, myself and I to acquire this album. Evil moniker? Diabolos Rising – tick. An awesome album title? “666”, the number of the beast – tick. Sinister and demonical song titles? “Satanas Lead Us Through” – tick. What could go wrong? Every-FUCKING-thing!

The Greek dudes play a mishmash of darkwave, even darker wave, sprinkled with some industrial elements and bits and pieces of electronic noise. Atmosphere? Non-existing. Guitar riffs? Something similar to be found in “Genocide – I Am God” and “Satanas Lead Us Though”. If only satanas had led me through a different thinking process in those times. It takes a lot of tolerance to qualify this musical outlier to be listed on a brilliant website like EM. Unfortunately, I can be as intolerant as a bastard of Putin, Trump and Kim Jong-un. “666” is a complete disaster and will be my first contribution, should I ever be required to burn 10 of my CDs on a funeral pyre.

“Vinnum Sabbati”” sounds like a lost soundtrack for the cult movie “2001: A Space Odyssey”. But make no mistake. There is a reason why this soundtrack got lost. Another interesting something is presented with the title track “666”. It is so fucking eeeeevil that you hear – nothing. I am sure that the ingenious band has used frequencies either too high or too low for the human ear. What a shame that I do not own a dog. I could have tested whether satan would have taken possession of the poor beast. The culmination of the musical intolerability and the pile of shit on the cake is the last track (btw, do you know that in German the pronunciation for “track” has the meaning of filth and muck? What a coincidence, but I am digressing). “Χ - Ξ - ΣΤ'“ leads you straight into hell. And what is hell for a metal maniac? At least for me it is a disco. This song for 2 ½ minutes presents a decent combination of calm and dark atmospheric sound collages that would work great as an introduction for a real black metal opus. But then it develops into a piece of aural torment that could have been tele transported from a discotheque of a derelict village in the 80ies right onto “666”.

Is there anything that helps me to keep my head above the water? There is at least one aspect on this release that qualifies being black metal: the vocals. Adding to that the effort that went into the artwork of the CD plus the two tracks (no. 1 and 4) that do not make you feel as if you swallowed two liters of laxative, I generously give 16/100. So, I wrote a review – tick. Of an old classic (disaster) – tick. To counteract my down day – no tick. I guess I have to start another review.