Absolutely BRUTIFUL masterpiece - 93%

GuardAwakening, June 2nd, 2013

Devourment's signature brand of slams incorporated into an extremely heavy piece of death metal, a subgenre coined as "slam death metal", isolated this band forever as a memory in the museum of extreme metal. It's sheer glory; so much so that I don't get why Devourment doesn't seem to get as much recognition as they seem to deserve. This album is absolutely mad. It slams, it rocks and it's brutal as all hell. Especially considering that this was released in the '90s, I'm shocked at the amount of gore this record holds down to its very stereophonic-enabled musical formatting. An album cover featuring a naked obese man with his head missing, vocals that are 97% unintelligible and riffs tuned so low that they almost rock out your stereo speakers. This record is amazing and memorable by all means.

I don't even know where to start. I want to start with the vocals I suppose. Ruben Rosas marks his debut label performance on this release before his unfortunate jailtime that he landed ironically the night this album was released, which put the band on a temporary breakup. But Devourment rose again when Rosas was finally released, letting him land back into the band providing the guitars while the man who handled bass on this album; Mike Majewski took care of the gurgling bloodsoaked gutturals onward. I just want to say that Rosas' growls are an earthshake of blackened roars drenched in gore and madness. When I hear Devourment vocals (abeit Rosas or Majewski), I imagine them gurgling blood and not their own saliva. I mean frankly how could you not? Rosas is amazing on this release, I mean be it that it's almost impossible that you can understand him straightforward from hearing this album without presenting the lyrics beyond your very eyes while hearing it in simultaneous action, but his performance almost blows me away. And his vocal break near the end of the track "Devour the Damned" is possibly one of the sickest things that ever granted death metal.

Next up, I wanna talk about the drums, while not the most shining thing about this record, Brad Fincher is not a terrible drummer nor that stupendous of one either. He does land some tricks every now and then such as the awesome rhythm he pulls off with his snare in "Festering Vomitous Mass" that constantly makes me want to replay this song just for that part alone, but in some other parts, almost overplays his snare, such as in some parts on "Choking on Bile". I've heard a few complaints about Fincher's drumming on this release, but he personally is not as bad as people perceived him to be on this album (at least in what I see), and I'm usually really critical on drumming for extreme metal records. He's not bad at all and that's what I never understood for those that did complain about him. Even his fills are midly entertaining while his dynamics are above average at best.

Now I would like to speak of the band's two slammers themselves: Kevin Clark and Brian Wynn whom definitely deserve an honorable mention. Being that this is Devourment's only full studio album with more than just one guitarist, it's remotely interesting to hear the somewhat variation there is in the case of this. I hate to say it, but Clark is evidently a better slammer than Rosas. His slams are addictive and delicious. It's either to say that Clark slams better than Rosas or he just does it more consistently or in better parts than Rosas does his slams, because this album is Devourment's best album for a clear reason and it would be shallow of me to say that it is just for the slams. But I let alone can't ignore the slams in songs such as "Postmortal Coprophagia" which are just GOREgeous or abeit the heavy tremolos he pulls off in the title track along with some pinch harmonics he pulls off in the same song. For some reason the pinch harmonics in the chorus for the title track make me think of a machine (1:54 of the song if you want to hear for yourself). I've heard the technique used in this way before that for some reason makes me think of a said "machine", but I can't exactly explain why. Must be a cranking squeal sound that I subconsciously have appear in my head somewhere? Hahaha. Well anyways, regardless from this, I'll now talk about the bass work.

While the bass is not so audible than on later Devourment albums, Mike Majewski's work on the four strings are deemed decent enough to credit him as a worthy death metal bass player to be put among the likes of (maybe) later bassists such as Marcin Rygiel or Brent Riggs. However, he's got a long way before I can pit him up against someone like Alex Webster. In the end, Majewski proved he's at least decent on the instrument before taking up the famed vokills position for the band, thus showing off that he's almost as good as a growler as Rosas later on.

All in all, I have to say I LOVE this album. This record put them on the map and for a very good reason. The controversial cover art, maddening heavyness and sheer utter brutality is all here. A perfect record to add to any metal collector's collection. The fame and recognition this album holds is by all means underrated as I see it. Buy this album, even if you have to scavenge the Internet for a copy. That's all I have to say.

• Guitar performance: 9/10
  • Drum performance: 7/10
  • Bass performance: 6/10
  • Vocal performance: 10/10
  • Production: 7/10
  • Creativity/innovation: 10/10

Biggest ear catchers: "Festering Vomitous Mass", "Postmortal Coprophagia", "Self Disembowelment" and "Devour the Damned".