© 2002-2022

Manifested unholiness in musical form - 80%

psiguen, March 13th, 2014

I normally used to like almost every Drowned Productions' release, and this one is not an exception. I always felt quite lucky about living in Madrid, and having the chance to go buying directly in their physical store (later on, I felt just the same about Repulse Recs.).

This band sounds pretty similar to Incantation. I'm not really much a fan of Incantation (in fact I only listened to their 2 first albums, but I'm catching up on it, I promise...), but it was the first band who came into my mind when I first listened to Deteriorot. I don't really think they are a clone of Incantation, but the influence and similarities are undeniable. Mostly slow-paced, nearly doomy sections (although it's not the same boring doomy riffs played to the nausea, unlike most doom bands) with powerful deep growling vocals, really similar to Craig Pillard's is what we find here, but that's not all. There are faster sections here and there as well, and I also find some old-school influences, mostly in the rhythmical patterns. Bands like Morbid Angel, old Obituary, the aforementioned Incantation or even the spanish Fermento (mostly because of the vocals) come to my mind when listening to Deteriorot.

The EP starts with an obvious short synth intro like shivering ghostly voices, pretty typical in the style during these years, then it starts "The Afterlife". What we find rhythmically in the 2 tracks this EP contains is basically slow-paced rhythmical patterns, although there's a nice variation of speed during the tracks from a nearly doomy slow pace to a furious fast one, with some varied tempos in between.

Concerning the guitar work, it's quite simple: highly distorted power-chords, slow and simply structured guitar riffs with some sped-up sections in the chorus, and some scattered harmonics here and there (well, pinch harmonics back then were usually played, but only to emphasise some intense or punctual moments, as oppossite as nowadays, that it seems pinching is the only technique the guitar players know). There're guitar solos on each track, pretty simple the first solo in "The Afterlife" (almost a lead rather than a solo), faster and more aggressive the second one, and a little out of place in the titletrack; l find it out of place because of the randomly styled soloing and the abrupt tempo change, from a mid-paced speed to a much faster one, returning to the same mid/slow tempo when the solo is over. Definitely, I think there's something missing in this solo... The guitars sound very distorted, really crude and brutal despite the slow speed, and it is possible to hear the bass guitar under the crushing guitars, highly distorted as well and pick played. There're short passages of bass solos, as it's been a constant in the genre since the beginning.

Vocals are pretty much the typical death metal vocals, and the lyrics are also quite typical to the genre: Hell, spirits, death and unholiness, yet it's missing the gory approach. As I stated before, vocalist Paul Zavaleta sounds pretty similar to Craig Pillard or Robert Garchitorena from Fermento in their early days, the typical deep growling ogre.

There's something different and quite original in this band, which makes them stand out a step further, and it's the use of keyboards (not that typical though) in order to give some dark atmosphere in some passages. They don't overuse the keys, so it's nice to have these dark ambient here and there.

A pretty typical yet original work. Maybe if you long for the fastest and most brutal band ever, you won't like this, but if you're into quality classical death metal this band is surely for you.