© 2002-2020

Gee, Wonder What Genre THIS Is - 67%

SweetLeaf95, December 13th, 2019

Destrukt only recently came across my radar, and seeing that lately I've been focusing on nasty death metal riffs and monstrous sounding vocals, it only makes sense that I revisit my true favorite sub-genre under the umbrella: thrash metal. Just looking at the tape cassette here was enough to draw my interest, looking like a brutal assault of fast riffing and hoarse vocal delivery. That's actually only partially true, as Unleash The Destruktors is tamer than I thought, with a lot of proto-thrash tropes.

If there's one thing that makes this worthwhile, it's how compact and sharp the riffing is. Shorter numbers like "Racing Death" build themselves on straightforward grounds that carry the most weight. You can even find traces of punk in that, and in "Broken Mirror" due to some adjustments to the attitude. The punkier influences are one of the biggest things that allow the band to touch on the pre-thrash speed aesthetic, and it's probably one of my favorite things about this.

On the other hand, it makes for something that feels all over the place. Finding one main idea or approach here is damn near impossible, and it creates a bumpier ride than what's fitting. The vocals are also a handful, as a lot of them almost feel like they're being croaked out. They also lack any real kick, mostly because the harsher blows feel like they're maxing out before reaching a solid altitude. Weird, as the production here is rather raw, but there's hardly another way to describe it. "Hell's Bursting Out" is a good track to get an idea of what I mean.

But at the end of the day, the bottom of the compositions here are solid enough. I can't see myself returning to Unleash The Destruktors, but at least they had the riffing style down.