Seperating the men from the posers - 89%

Andromeda_Unchained, November 26th, 2011

Only a year after their debut album Destruction was ready to hit us again with their sophomore release Eternal Devastation. Another undoubted thrash classic that found an increase in technicality for the band, as well as beginning to grab a solid foothold on their given genre and sound; there was no sophomore slump to be had here. This was the last release from the awesome line up of their debut and ultimately a stronger album than Infernal Overkill.

Again the production wasn't spot on here, although it was a noticeable step up from the debut. The guitar tone is still a thin razor's edge, although the lead guitar sound is vastly superior and lends well to Mike Sifringer's ripping solos. The drums are still a little flat and tinny but it was nothing major, and the bass is just that little bit clearer in the mix.

Performances again are all top notch, with Schmier's voice a tad lower and angrier, and he nails us with some more of his awesome high screams. The guitar work is simply awesome, and the riffs are a lot better than on the debut, more memorable and generally better played. Tommy's drums are again excellent, he was a quality player and it's just a shame the production neuters his work a bit. Nonetheless this is again awesome all around.

The track listing is where Eternal Devastation proves its worth and puts the debut to shame, while there was a slight air of sameness to the debut this time around we're hit with a lot of quality, and the aforementioned guitar work is really mean, giving the razor sharp tone some gnarly teeth to sink into you. Obviously tracks such as "Curse The Gods" and "Life Without Sense" are still parts of the live set, and both are undeniable German thrash classics that need to be heard. However as with Infernal Overkill these tracks fare a lot better live and prove the quality of the tracks that the album's production very nearly holds back. The rendition of "Curse The Gods" on Live Without Sense should be heard by every thrash fan as it smashes the album version to pieces.

Destruction are a first rate band and the quality of the material on here proved it, they would still go on to do better albums but this is the first truly great Destruction album, and despite the issues with the production, it still stands as both classic and essential. I'm sure many a fan of the band can come to appreciate the production here, and you can add me to the list. It gives the album a cool, raw and underground feel, and with the material being so good, it is really easy to overlook. 1986 was a big year for thrash, and there was a load of quality material put out through that year, we all know how killer Darkness Descends, Peace Sells... and Pleasure to Kill were and we should never forget that Eternal Devastation was there too, tearing its fair share of heads. This one separates the men from the posers; if you haven't heard this before, sort it out.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt,com (although ever so slightly edited)