© 2002-2021

Quality over Quantity - 60%

ruigeroeland, October 17th, 2007

Denyall from Finland are a Gothic Metal band that stand at the beginning of their career and released their first demo, containing a mere two tracks and clocking in at just over 8 minutes. That is not much material to base a review on, but I will give it a shot anyway.

The music is, as described in their genre tag, indeed atmospheric, although there is no overuse of the keyboard (something you might expect with a classification like that). The main focus are the guitars, providing us with some pretty heavy riffing for a gothic metal band. The keyboard has a supporting role most of the time, but sometimes also provides a nice melody to contrast the heavy riffs. The bands playing is impressively tight for a starting band.

The band uses both clean female vocals and male growls. Both are enjoyable, although the female vocals sound somewhat insecure sometimes, but this maybe the cause of the production, because she certainly has a good voice.

I think the statement “quality over quantity” would describe this release best. They wanted to get their name out, and instead of releasing a watered down demo with a few filler songs and overly long intro’s and outro’s, they decided to stick to their best songs, and I applaud them for that. I do hope they will make more songs in the future, because there is certainly potential here.