Making their presence known - 88%

Strato_Superior, September 10th, 2019
Written based on this version: 2019, Digital, Independent

Every once in a while, I’ll stumble upon a band that I know absolutely nothing about and I’ll find that they are exactly what I’ve been looking for. Recently, I was scrolling through some Facebook feeds when I saw a post from an unblack metal musician promoting the band Demonic Extinction. I wandered over to the group’s Bandcamp page and gave their free debut EP, Satanicide, a spin. I came away pleasantly surprised with what I heard.

There were a few things about this band that caught my attention right away. Obviously, you have to dig the album art. It all looks very Doom-inspired, with demons being impaled all over the place and whatnot. Demonic Extinction also features Carnifex drummer, Shawn Cameron, as a session player behind the kit. Additionally, the production on this album is pretty solid. There’s a bit of an old-school feel to this EP, but it’s still got lots of energy and can hold its own as modern underground release.

Satanicide comes off as a mixture of old-school American death metal styles. The riffs on this EP remind me of the old-school workings of Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Prophecy, and Suffocation. There are also some really good solos here that add a nice melodic flourish to an otherwise dark and ominous atmosphere. In fact, Demonic Extinction’s calling card here may be their balance of brutality and atmosphere. These guys did a very nice job on their debut EP, packing 30 minutes of quality underground death metal into five well-written songs. I hope to hear more from this band in the future.