© 2002-2021

Deicide is back, once and for all! - 100%

ad, March 19th, 2005

Yes, they are back. And this time they are here to stay, not to fall back into the depths of mistrust from the fans. The guitar riffs are better than ever (at least than the predecessor and "insanerythymn") and Earache has given the band a complete new, brutal sound which in my eyes is the best one on a recorded Deicide album. The blastbeats from drummer, Steve Aasheim are dangerous for your mind and will strictly spoken blow your freaking brain out! It is not hard to notice that the drumwork on this record is excellently performed and a lot of work is involved. I have heard that the drums were recorded with to sticks on the kickdrum to give it a better sound, though Steve plays it perfectly live. The new material from the brothers, Eric and Steve Hoffmann is undescribeable. Such riffs are like gold; seldom and almost irreplaceable. The co-operation within the band strikes once again and this time they also have managed to create some melodic, beautiful solos(for example the one on the titletrack) Death metal lyrics are supposed to sound evil and hellish, but Glen Benton brings this defination to a whole new level. These growls are insane! He shows his qualities by growling for minutes and he even combines it with screams. Lyrically, it is still the same: Fuck christiannity! But I have a feeling that these lyrics are a bit more advanced than ecspecially the two passing albums.

The opening track; Scars of the crucifix is there not much to say about. I guess everybody (included me) has had the intro riff glued to their brain several times. What is outstanding on this track is the double bass drum performance from Steve Aasheim. I have not heard such fantastic footwork since "Legion" and 1992 is a long time ago.

"Conquered by sodom" is the third track and one of the fastest. It starts out with a thypical Deicide style: A groovy background riff and a chaotic, slayer-sounding solo. When the double voice, blasphemous growling from Glen starts, the showtime has begun and so marvellous it continues through the entire song.

The 4th song contains a lot of the things Deicide have made their huge success with. "Fuck your god" starts out with a coinfidential, booming riff before the speed takes control and hell is unleashed. The songs highlight is the chorus where you are compelled to sing along.

"From darkness come" is my personal favourite, maybe because of the mixure of groove, technical appearences and speed. If you consider the first songs as good, this will definately fall in the taste of yours.

The last song; "The pentecostal" is an unusual song,seen from a Deicide fans point of view. Despite its originallity, it is a great song with a lot of musical qualities. A remarkable thing on the song is the evil piano in the end. Ok, it is a bit weird, but it fits Deicide perfectly with its grimness and its horror sound.

Conclusion: Perfect album. You shall seek for a long time to find something compereable.A heavenly(or maybe a hellish) record from a superb quartet.