Redemption of the irredeemable - 95%

SufferTheCircleOfTyrants, June 6th, 2015
Written based on this version: 2013, CD, Century Media Records

After being blown away by their first two albums, I found myself checking out after the bands third release Once Upon the Cross. It seemed that while the production quality had stepped up the sheer ferocity of the music had stepped down. Fast forward twenty years. Hate Eternal and Entombed A.D. are coming to town on a tour headlined by none other than Deicide. Being a big H.E. and Entombed fan I will be attending the show so I decided to check out the latest Deicide album to see if it would be worth hanging out to watch the headliners. I found the latest album was twenty thirteen’s In the Minds of Evil. After listening to several of the samples on line I immediately hit the download button.

As always the foundation of the music is laid down by Asheim and Benton. The drums guide the album at a nice steady pace that allows the guitars to lay down some heavy ass riffs. Asheim adds in plenty of fills and nice cymbal work (see Misery of One) to accent the music. Benton’s bass follows Asheim just fine, nothing exceptional to report on this although it is nice to have it audible in the mix.

Benton seems to have developed a much deeper vocals in comparison to his work on the first two albums. Gone are the dual high low vocals I enjoyed so much in songs like Dead But Dreaming and Sacrificial Suicide. While I miss the higher pitched vocals I do enjoy the new deeper low so much better than the original. It makes the album that much darker and contributes nicely to the overall heaviness of the the album.

The guitar duties are handled by Jack Owen and Kevin Quirion. I’ve never heard these gentlemen before and I couldn’t tell you who was playing what part. What I can tell you is that they do an outstanding job here. The riffs are heavy and memorable as hell (see entire album). The soloing is done in fine taste adding the right accents in the right places without disintegrating into high pitched oblivion. The standout moment for this is on Between the Flesh and the Void but is true for the entire album.

Overall this album is exceptional. I’ve found nine of the eleven tracks to be truly memorable and the other two enjoyable. I’ve listened to the album in its entirety over two dozen times in the two weeks since I purchased it. Needless to say I will be staying to watch the headliners.