© 2002-2022

Day of Execution > Inevitable End > Reviews
Day of Execution - Inevitable End

Day of Execution - Inevitable End - 94%

Edmund Sackbauer, April 10th, 2020
Written based on this version: 2018, CD, Neckbreaker Records (Limited edition)

Can there be such a thing as „too much old school death metal”? In my books the answer clearly is “no”, so whenever I discover a new band providing the rattling beats and putrid rhythms to get the party in the crypt starting I will be on board. One of my latest discoveries has been Day of Execution, hailing from Varna/Bulgaria. Having been formed in 2009, they have released their debut full length “Dead Burning to Ashes” in 2012. Having joined the ranks of Neckbreaker Records it took until 2018 before the successor titled “Inevitable End” has been unleashed to the world.

This album is a beast, having a thick and heavy sound, raw but not too fussy, with superb US death metal influenced guitar work, with a node to bands like early Immolation or Morbid Angel, but also reminding of European greats like Benediction or Grave. Slightly technical and chaotic parts are interchanging with more groovy sections, with some more melodic moments thrown in for good measure. “Inevitable End” is traditional death metal at the core, all elements melded with a lush fluidity and dark haunting melody. The interplay of the crunchy basic riffs and the memorable lead harmonies are a real highlight here, perfectly balancing heaviness with groove and hypnotic melodies.

Despite the relentless and aggressive sound, there are catchy and atmospheric moments, and some of the hooks are going to stick with the listener after the second or third spin. Harmonies that seem a bit disjointed at first work as transition elements before the trademark chords of the respective song are repeated again.

While the instrumentation is top notch there are no too flashy or overly technical sections. From the first note onwards it is pretty obvious that the intention of Day of Execution has been to take some of the best pieces of the genre and put them back together while injecting a little bit of their own DNA. There is nothing really new or innovative here, but the music is just so powerful and fresh that I really do not care about that. The songwriting is compact and on point, without any unnecessary lengths or boring parts. The tracks flow into each other in nice fashion, making the thirty seven minutes go by without noticing.

Rounded off by a fantastic and brutal vocal delivery, which helps ramping up the intensity of the music another notch or two, and a very powerful production job, this album is an absolute gem. The sound is rough and filthy, yet very transparent. I highly recommend to look for the physical edition, coming with an atmospheric cover. Great stuff.