EXTREME GOTHIC/BLACK METAL FROM POLAND - 95%

BlackenedSally, June 4th, 2019
Written based on this version: 2007, DVD, Metal Mind Productions

Darzamat is a band from Krakow that some people insist on comparing with Cradle Of Filth. Newsflash;twhile some of the musical elements are shared, the end result has little to do with the British band and their sound. Darzamat has a sound that is way denser and not self-indulgent or compromised in any way, it is very much their own. Double bass drums, 5 string bass and keyboards are the only similarities. They feature dual vocals; main singer is Flauros, who has a very black metal delivery, and female vocals are handled by the gorgeous Nera. The latter is mostly choruses and weird noises she makes alternating clean and gruffed vocals; they result harsh and dark as opossed to what other gothic metal females singers usually deliver, which is a shocking yet pleasant surprise. The girl has stunning looks, but makes clear from minute one she is not on stage to delight you with operatic or melodious harmonies; she is there to kick some serious ass.

Now on to the dvd itself. The main feature is their set at Metalmania 2007 (42'). The performance is tight and intense and despite the nice widescreen picture, multi-camera shots and a fantastic light show the filming is not totally spot-on. The camera is rarely where the music would call for, esp on the fretboards. The guest rhythmic guitarrist and the bassist get very little exposure, but the overall result is OK, with a sharp an nice picture and a near-perfect sound, dynamic and well panned across the stereo landscape. However, the mix lacks some of bottom end if played without a sub, but is perfect through a decent one, and the kick-drums are tuned in a very dry manner.

Bonus material include :

a) the second gig, at the Weinachstrum Fest in Germany on the same year (28'), has a muddier sound, a more keyboard-oriented setlist and a third singer on some of the songs, with no guest guitarist to beef up the sound this time. It was edited using sepia and bluish chroma effects for enhancement, since I believe the actual lighting was very sparse in that little club. The atmosphere is very intimate and the band is not that focused on making their set sound as extreme as in Metalmania .The bottom end is rounder now, but at the expense of the rest of the drum kit.Cranking up your treble control will bring everything else to life though.

b) 3 video clips with good sound; they are mostly live with some scenes filmed for the occasion interspersed, but more than OK for a low-budget underground band. They exhibit some compression artifacts but that was to be expected from a DVD 5 with that much material in it.

c) An informative half hour interview with the band and a 20' funny backstage footage that includes sound checks and other things. We also are handed a couple of audio-only tracks that are. well, nice to check the band's studio sound if you're interested. The rest is just your standard Metal Mind's Weblinks, screesavers, bans bio and discography.

Conclusion : An honest but somewhat rushed effort that tries to compensate quality with quantity, but sure to please Darzamat diehards and give metalheads who -like me- had not heard of the band before, a good overview of the band.

Originally written by yours truly for Amazon.com.

Not bad, but do you have some spare money? - 62%

Asamaniac, October 15th, 2008

I cannot say that DARZAMAT belongs to my favorite bands list, but the Polish symphonic black metallers are definitely something to look out for. The Polish label Metal Mind Productions has been releasing tons of DVD's lately and DARZAMAT's "Live Profanity" is one of them. I am the one that is called to write this review and thus I place the DVD in my PC...

The band was formed in 1995 and features members like the gorgeous singer Nera (one of the reasons I watched the DVD several times) and the great Darkside, who also plays in THY DISEASE and has been a member of the Polish Death Metal project ANAL STENCH. This is the band's first official DVD release and I think it could be a lot better than this.

"Live Profanity" contains DARZAMAT's performance at Metalmania Festival, which took place on March 24, 2007, in Katowice, Poland. The first thing that made a bad impact one me was the crowd, which was one of the worst I have ever seen for sure! Definitely not the appropriate crowd for a DVD release! Even when Flauros pointlessly tried to warm them up by saying that the performance was being filmed, you could only hear 3-4 voices from somewhere in the fans. Anyway, not that the band is one of the best live acts I have ever seen!

DARZAMAT are not so energetic on stage and I suppose that I would have been a little bored if I was attending that festival. The two singers are a bit "cold" on stage; the guitarist and the bassist are headbanging like their neck hurts and, as it is obvious, the drummer and the keyboardist are not able to do many things from their positions. Not only their on stage performance is not as good as I think it should be, but their EMPEROR meets CRADLE OF FILTH Black Metal is not one of my favorite styles.

Apart from the above-mentioned performance, the DVD also contains the band's live at WinterNachtsTraum Festival in February 2007, in Arnsberg, Germany. Even though the audio and video quality are not that good (which by the way are great at the Metalmania part), the band really shows what it is made of with merciless headbanging and passion. The crowd is not that better from the Polish one and you can barely see any heads banging down there.

Other bonus goodies are an interview with the band's vocalists Nera and Flauros, the Shockumentary Part I where you can see the band fooling around, wallpapers, discography, the band's history, a photo gallery and weblinks.

To tell you the truth I don't know if this band has managed to have so many devoted fans in order to describe this release as necessary. If you are a symphonic Black Metal fan or you just adore this band you should go and buy this DVD. It is nice and you will watch it several times without getting bored. For the rest of you, I don't know if "Live Profanity" is such a good choice.

Originally written for Metal-Temple.Com