...And the point of this is? - 25%

The_Ghoul, August 1st, 2008

I usually hate "best-of"s, especially in this age of digital piracy, because there's no need to repackage songs that have already been released in another form. Let the people rip the songs to their computers and burn their favorites to disc. Usually, to be worth anything, there has to be something new. Most best of's don't have anything new. They're just cash grabs.

Preparing For War, for the most part, is no different. Now, I'm analyzing this as if I were a tried and true Darkthrone fan (I'm not). If you want my opinion on the actual song material, read the reviews for the respective albums. I'm just reviewing the usefulness of this compilation. And on that note, I really don't get the point of this, other than a cynical cash grab. It appears to be made for a darkthrone beginner, because it mostly consists of already released material. In that case, what's the point of the 2 unreleased demo songs? If you're just trying to get into black metal, why the shoddy death metal demo tracks? Unless, of course, this was meant for the Darkthrone enthusiast, in which case, what's the point of re-releasing all the "classic" material, which was already on albums that any black metaller, Darkthrone fan or not, should at least have already had in one form or another? Seems pretty sketchy to me.

Seriously, this "best of" is too unoriginal and contrived for there to be any other reason for its existence. It seems to be a blatant cash grab by Peaceville (or Darkthrone, I'm not sure which). Or a joke, in which case the joke is on the saps who bought this. I would say download it (not buy it) just for the 2 demo songs, but they're already released, along with ALL of Darkthrone's demo material, on the Frostland Tapes, so in that case, don't even bother. Just buy the Frostland tapes if you're a Darkthrone enthusiast and want "unreleased" material, and if you want an introduction to Darkthrone, simply get Under a Funeral Moon or Panzerfaust.