© 2002-2020

SOLEMN ARGENTINIAN SYMPHONIC BLACK METAL - 80%

BlackenedSally, December 13th, 2019
Written based on this version: 2014, CD, Furias Records | Orion Music Entertainment (Limited edition)

I thought I had to check out this band for two reasons : the style they played -symphonic and more elaborate, as opposed to raw, Darkthrone/Burzum-influenced- and the part of the country they were from -Argentinian BM is usually from the south of the country and these are from the Mediterranean zone. There were plenty of YouTube samples to give me an idea of what I was going to come across, so I took the plunge and man I am glad I did !.

After some kind of short synthesized neoclassical intro, the first track violently pummels you out of your comfort zone; nothing too original on this CD, but nothing is a blatant rip-off either, though there are clear Emperor and Dimmu Borgir influences. The songs are quite long -in the 5 to 6' range, but are quite different from one another, and have enough variation to keep you entertained throughout the whole duration of this debut opus. Matter of fact, the 58' seemed more like 35, and this is usually a good thing.

Guitars are sharp and fierce, with interesting riffing; bass and drums are overwhelmingly mixed-in, and the overall sound is a little muffled, but nothing that can't be successfully fixed by just dialing back the bass and cranking your treble control a bit. Speaking of the drumming, it strikes as a little militaristic in style and execution, which really suits the intended style.

What I liked the most, strangely enough, was the way the vocals -in Spanish BTW- were recorded, mixed and arranged; simply superb. The keyboards are Ok and a nice touch, yet not groundbreaking. Like I mentioned in the title review, the whole of the album oozes solemnity; the band takes it very seriously and it definitely shows, but it also has some faster, rawer sections that counterpoint the more ¨serious¨midtempo sections. Cymbals are somewhat AWOL, but they can be heard from time to time, albeit faintly. In the studio, this is actually a one-man band, who plays all the instruments and sings.

What I really thought unnecessary was the Mayhem version of ¨DeMysteriis...¨ that closes the album. It sounds totally disjointed and out of place, although it is not intrinsically a bad version. Maybe it is just I am not a fan of covers These guys opened for Mayhem a couple of years ago in Buenos Aires.

And enjoyable, and recommendable, solid slab of black metal.