© 2002-2022

Dark Hound - Dark Hound

A surprising sucess - 85%

Superreallycool, October 7th, 2014
Written based on this version: 2014, CD, Rampant Struggle Records

I found this band originally by using the random band feature on this site, and the only reason I researched them further was because I liked their simple band photo... and as I'm a bit ashamed to admit, the house in the background reminded me of Eminem's "Marshall Mathers LP". Little did I know of the treat that awaited me. Dark Hound is a progressive metal band stationed in Nashville Tennessee, a town known more for its country than its metal. They've been around since 2009 and released videos on YouTube for a while now. They showed promise, so when I heard they were going to be releasing an album, I was excited. However, their songs of past didn't prepare me for the quality found here. This is an album, both fulfilling in its own right, and bursting at the seams with potential.

The first thing I noticed was, it has a really nice production to it. For the debut album, from a 100% unknown metal band, this is beyond surprising. For a genre like progressive metal, a poor production job can almost completely on its own kill an album, so its good production value is more than reassuring. The mix is spot on, and the instruments are nice and clear. The vocals seem a tad bit off, but no real worries here, it's a minor issue at most.

Musically, the best way for me to describe it is, a more concise version of Dream Theater. Dark Hound's songs, while complex, come no where near Dream Theater, and really this is a positive thing, as Dream Theater often suffers from their need to be complex simply for the sake of being complex. This allows Dark Hound to be more musical than technical, and thus a more enjoyable band than if they had done otherwise. The music is somewhat odd, yet completely elegant and really, it's more lovely than brutal (although, don't get the wrong idea, it IS metal).

But, I can't talk about the good without mentioning the bad. The biggest complaint I have is, it somewhat feels like the band wrote the same song more than once. While those songs used multiple times are good, it obviously is still an issue. Also, sometimes it feels like the band is TOO concise, not feeling free and open enough to really be true prog. But don't let this make you feel ill of the album, as it truly is an exciting and good album, and any fans of progressive music, metal or otherwise, will feel quite comfortable and at home here.