The Satanic Symphony - 94%

WilliamAcerfeltd, November 19th, 2006

Until tonight, I hadn't listened to this album in a while; I had forgotten how good it was. I have all of Dark Funeral's (DF) albums and this album has always been my favourite. Why? Simply because it's just so good, almost everything in this album is flawless. However, if you only listen to this album once, you'll most likely hate it because it appears (or appeared me anyway) on the first listen as just as a mindless cacophony of sound.

To start off, DF describes this album on their site as "the ultimate Satanic symphony ever appeared outside the gates of hell". This truly is a blasphemous, evil, piece of music. It's cold, dark and performed exceptionally well with awesome guitar and drum work. It is very fast and aggressive, and the attack on your ear drums doesn't stop until the albums finished. There are great riffs throughout most of the album, occasionally they get a little bit boring but only for about 5 seconds and only about once throughout the entire album.

They're melodies in this album mixed with classical themes which really give the effect as if some black, evil orchestra was playing in harmony with these guys. It truly is a spine tingling experience. You most likely won’t hear this on your first listen as this may just seem like a wall of noise. As implied above, it is the type of album you need to spend some time with, if you are going to like it.

Another great thing about this album is the extremely bleak and dark atmosphere which permeates this album. This really adds to the evil feeling of this album. Again, this contributes to the greatness of this album and reinforces the aura of evil which this album possesses.

Arguably, the best part of this album is: the vocals. Themgoroth was born to do black metal vocals. Not even Satan himself could do better vocals, Themgoroth's screams are so cold and hate filled and again, contribute to this album’s evil and dark atmosphere. The only track he doesn't do vocals is Satanic Blood, apparently Blackmoon wanted to do vocals but the band thought Themgoroth was better so he got to do them, however Blackmoon was allowed to do them here. That said, Blackmoon is still quite a good vocalist, the only problem is, he is straining after only two minutes, nonetheless, it is a solid effort on his behalf.

The drumming is perhaps the worst on this album. However by no means does that mean the drummer is shit. DF have had many outstanding drummers throughout their entire career, however Equimanthorn still fills in quite nicely. Although he cant compete with the blast beating of some drummers, he makes up for it with the occasional flares of skill which add variety to his drumming, rather than monotonous blast beating. Overall he does a pretty good job.

After listening to this album, I could remember why I thought this album was DF's best. It is the way real black metal should be done, i.e. being raw, heavy, having evil sounding melodies and possessing a cold, sad atmosphere. All in all this is an excellent album, a black metal classic and it really is unfortunate that 3/4 of the band left after this album. Do yourself a favour, if you buy this album, listen to it at leat 10 times; otherwise, you may never be able to fully appreciate the evil and quality of this album.