© 2002-2021

What a way to start a career! - 95%

Feast for the Damned, May 22nd, 2019

Revocation has always been one of my favorite tech death bands thanks to their thrash metal elements. Considering how much I love them, I figured out I might as well start with this album before they changed their name. While I was expecting the well know sound of Revocation, I ended up completely shocked: This has barely anything in common with the sound that they will work with in the future. In my opinion there are 3 requirements for an album if it wants to be successful: It has to be released in the right time, It has to draw attention with the cover or advertising, and it also has to have some good fucking music on it. Spoiler alert: it fails at 2 of these requirements, but the quality of the music ain't one of those two.

The very first thing you will notice if you have been following Revocation is that the technical death metal with thrash elements kind of style is switched to technical thrash metal with death elements. On paper it might sound like there is no difference, but there is more than you would ever imagine. To spot this difference you don't even have to go further than the intro track Thrashterpiece Theatre. It opens up with a blasting thrash metal riff complemented with drums destroying your very soul with. Guess what? This can be said about the entire album!!! The constant top tier riffs with inhuman drumming and tastefully added bass. The amazing guitar solo parts should be mentioned also since they are extraordinary. All of these elements are mostly come from the tech thrash part so you may ask "Where are the aforementioned death metal elements?". Well those come to play in the vocals. The death growls and other kind of harsh vocals (e.g. pig squeal-ish vocals) complement the nicely flowing groovy riffs and the music in general. Also even though it was produced with a "non-metal producer" the production on this record is pleasing in every single way since every instrument is audible.

While from the aforementioned 3 things this album definitely has the quality of the music in the bag, sadly it flew under many people's radar. The album came out in 2005, yet it sounds like it came from the golden age. If it was released 10-15 years earlier this would be a classic by now, yet thanks to the "bad timing" (if we can call it that) and bad marketing this album barely gets the recognition it deserves.

Overall this is a brilliant way to kick of a band's career. Not only does this stand out as one of the greater albums from the band, it can also stand on it's own. It's easily better than the first full-length they released after the name change (more on that in a later review). If I need to choose the best unnoticed tech thrash album from the middle 2000s, this would be it without doubt.

There are no highlights since every song is equally awesome.