Cruachan Owns Ye All ... ! - 92%

Orion, March 29th, 2005

Cruachan's "Folk-Lore" is one of the most interesting pieces of music i've heard recently! It doesn't resemble any folk-rock/metal album i've listened to, because it really captures the essence of folksy music. Ironically, every "folk metal" song i've listened to so far has little to do with folk music, being either death/black metal with bagpipes ( Finntroll, Turisas etc...), either NWOBHM with flutes ( Skyclad anyone ? ).

The gem we have here is mostly consisted of slow-paced irish melodies, ornamented by a female vocalist's singing. I have to point out that her "rural" voice perfectly fits the music, giving it a very authentic feel. The music's generally slow tempo lets the listener enjoy the orchestration.Furthermore the fusion between rock and folk music is done masterfully here, and the result is music beyond words, especially if you're a fan of both genres. Personally, this album was my gateway to folk/celtic music. After listening to it, i started developping interest for such artists as Shane MacGowan, Christina Pato and Jethro Tull.

The only reason which prevented me to give this album a 100% is the two last tracks, which include growled/rasped vocals, souding totally out of context, and ruining the good music.