Another success for the Irish bards - 90%

Andrzej, August 2nd, 2003

This is the third full release from Cruachan. It does not have the raw aggression of Tuatha na Gael but instead mid to slow paced songs with folk instruments like Irish flute, tin whistle, bodhrán, (an Irish drum) and even guests playing fiddle, violin, and cello. It is by no means an "extreme" album, growled vocals appear only in the track Exiles, my favorite song on the album, where I am reminded heavily of earlier Cruachan.

The songs have quite a bit of story to them, which are fully explained in the booklet. Knowing the history behind the songs add quite a bit of enjoyment to them.

Many of the melodies are very catchy, at times the guitars even add a sorrowfull feel to the songs, especially on track 9. The drum work is very well done, I think it's safe to say that Cruachan are currently the best band in the Celtic metal genre.

Overall, Folk-Lore is a very good release, a nice blend of original compositions and traditional Irish tunes. If there were more "metal" vocals and occasionally some faster, heavier parts, I think it would be better.