Surprisingly good - 73%

MikeyC, November 29th, 2014

Before pressing play on Crackwhore’s only full-length Inner Piece, one might come to the conclusion that this is some C-grade grindcore due to the band name and very blatant front cover depicting a woman destroying her parts. Shock value it certainly is, and I must admit I was very skeptical before divulging into whatever music this contained. Hell, even the liner notes say that some of the printed lyrical content has been scratched out due to legal processes involved. Whether that’s true is up for researching, but nevertheless Crackwhore have some face aesthetics going on that may not be for the faint of heart.

The music itself is much better than expected, though. No doubt it’s grindcore and it’s something I expected, but it’s much more involved than first anticipated. You have your usual blasting sections, but intertwined are sections of groove whether it’s almost impossible not to be tapping your foot. “Tresspassers Will be Shot” and “Feeding the Pigs” contains great grooves throughout its run time, while also incorporating the type of grind Crackwhore can do. Others like “Meat is Meat” encapsulate the main meat (pun intended) of the music with the down tuned guitars and blasts and deep vocals.

Guitars display great riffs with some pinch harmonics seeping through from time to time. Unfortunately, I kind of wished the guitars were louder in the mix, since I feel the riffs on show are worth conveying. Songs like “Razor Blade Apple” would’ve benefitted from louder guitars, since it may have given it more punch. The solo on “From Torture to Climax” is designed to be louder, and it’s a welcome inclusion to round out the album. As it is, the rhythms are slightly buried in the cacophony of beats that is the drums. The most overt drum is definitely the snare, with its slight “ping” tuning (although not too much to detract). Bass drum is, much like the guitars, sometimes lost in the mix, however definitely noticeable during parts without the snare drum extravaganza. Vocals are your standard low grumbling with some higher registers, but they incorporate really well with the music on offer, delivering an extra dimension of bass to the already very bass-driven mix.

Samples are a constant accompaniment to the music, which I can already hear the groans from the reader. It’s up to personal interpretation whether they are properly integrated or a distracting annoyance, but either way they’re here and they’re not going away. Opener “Ripped For Her Pleasure” contains female orgasmic noises through most of its short length, and “Humiliated and Dead” portrays more about the killing of women. Just two examples of what can be found all the way through. Personally, I don’t find them distracting. They are constant, but none of them are deemed long enough or break the flow of the album to hinder the experience. Others more adverse to samples in their music may think otherwise, but I kind of liked them, even though the final sample from American Psycho is overplayed.

Given that Inner Piece only runs for a paltry 25 minutes, I feel that is plenty of time to deliver the gory goods. Despite the flaws of the album – the most glaring being the quietness of the guitars – it’s an enjoyable grind album with enough bloodsoaked groove and killer blasts to come back to. As an added bonus, not all lyrical themes revolve around misogyny, despite the cover art, so that is another added dimension that Crackwhore can be commended for. Recommended for those into grind with a unique flavour, even if it still tastes like blood and human corpses.