Cor Scorpii : The future of viking metal? - 85%

WitheringToSerenity, September 4th, 2006

Rising from the ashes of the legendary Viking metal band Windir, three previous band members, have went on to form Cor Scorpii. Simply put, this is a triumphant return and logical continuation of their previous path that, once, seemed destined for greater things. Cor Scorpii delivers quite the treat with flawless production (on a demo?) and very well executed, glorious dual guitar riffs and tasteful, never overdone keyboards to appease any fan of this genre of this Viking/folk metal music. The vocals are mostly growled with few clean variations, which might lead you to believe this to quite similar to a lost Windir album. This is not entirely without merit, however there are enough subtle differences to easily distinguish them. Depending on your perspective, this can either be embraced or loathed by the metal community but I cannot fault these musicians for their dedication to the music they love. I hesitate to call this a demo because of the spectacular production quality and the professionalism showed in these four songs. My main concern is the lack of material, which explains my general dislike of demos and EP’s. It was only a matter of time before such high caliber material found a label. Anxiously awaiting Cor Scorpii’s new full-length as should anyone else with an interest in Viking Metal, Folk Metal or extreme, harmonic metal in general.