© 2002-2020

Holy Damn - 90%

Thrash_Tard666, October 4th, 2011

Alright, I guess I'll start the review with saying just this: GOD DAMN!

I stumbled upon this album when I was reading other reviews for this album coincidentally. Since it got such high marks, I wanted to check it out, so I got off my ass, went down to my record store and found it, the last one on the shelves too. I payed the $10 or so for the album and got back to my house, popped in the cd and just from the first song I knew I was going to like this album. "The Calming Effect" did the exact opposite for me. It got me super pumped and started headbanging. Within the first :30 seconds of the song, it was like your favorite melodic death metal band and metalcore band had a love child, but the two stayed together and cherished what they created. It was fast, bringing with it some blast beats and cool harmonized riffs. That is the structure of the album; fast melodic riffs that don't get boring or cookie cutter riffs that have been played by every band throughout the ages.

I'll break this review into the different sections starting with guitars. Like I said, there are fast melodic riffs that don't get boring at all. The guitarists are competent for what they are doing and even harmonize the sweeps and parts of their respective solos. It's a really technical album, but it's not technical for the sake of being technical like some tech bands out today (Beneath the Massacre, Brain Drill, Origin). All the songs are over 4 minutes in length (the shortest two being both 4:09). Since this is a metalcore/deathcore record or whatever you want to call it, there are breakdowns in it, but they aren't plagued every 30 seconds in the songs. They actually hold a purpose within the songs. It's like when they are done with a really gnarly solo or just something super fast, it breaks down into something to give the listener a different sound. Like in the song "Eternally Gutted", the whole song is pretty fast and all melodic, then the breakdown shows up and makes a different sound by adding diminished qualities while the other guitarist plays off-time chugs. Also, there are a couple clean parts in the record that also give it a different feel, either at the end of a song or in the middle, then they bring back the brutality

The bass on this record is solid and plays around with what the guitarists are doing, playing the bass notes I'm assuming, but I wish I could hear it better so I can review that aspect of the record.

The drums are tight and solid like every drummer should be. He is versatile with his playing, using blast beats, the d-beat, fast thrash beats, and in the clean sections, throwing in jazz-influenced percussion that sets the band apart from their scene.

The vocals are also really good. His range is superb, bringing in lows, shrieking highs, and good mids. I like it when the vocalist will go from a high and will descend into a good low really smoothly. He doesn't utilize clean vocals, but I'd say that's a good thing cause if he were to sing, then it would ruin the album, for me at least. He does one singing part on the new record, but it somehow fits and isn't jarring. The lyrics on the album are about a civilization that basically got left behind and how they are going to rise up and take back what is theirs.

The production is a clean, crisp production. The bass drum has that clicking sound, but I like that noise for some odd reason while some people don't, I guess. You can hear everything nicely, but the bass is a little absent on the mix somewhere, but I'm sure if bass wasn't recorded, then it would sound like it had no power.

Overall, I'm going to give the record a 90/100 with -10 'cause I can't hear the bass.