© 2002-2017

Heavy+slow brood to fill rooms/back of your mind - 50%

MrMetalpants, August 12th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2016, CD, Napalm Records (Limited edition, Digipak)

I'm not that involved in the doom metal genre, so I may not be the best judge of material here, so I'll more be referencing how I felt about it without a comparing it to the genre of doom, as a whole.

The first thing that caught my ear was the juxtaposition of the vocals to the rest of the music. The lead singer sounded similar to the singer of recent Goblin Cock or maybe Neurosis, but with slow, rumbling, and much heavier doom behind it. That singing style fits Goblin Cock a bit better. The low growls, when they did come in here, fit like a glove because the rest of the band is very heavy.

That's mostly it, though. Extreme heaviness and fuzz. The guitars almost seem to turn into basses at some points! Like I mentioned before, because they're focusing so much on being so heavy, it can seem to drag in quite a few spots (Even though that seems to be par for the course). Oh, and stay away if you hate notes that last forever. I started getting antsy at some points just waiting for the next note to finally hit! So much so, that I feel this album would be a good choice when you're wanting ambient black metal but it's sunny out... Amazing background music

Best Tracks:
--Throne of Fire
--Wrath Gauntlet
--Earthenguard (I really enjoy the hi-hat on the drums)

Technical Skill: 25% Writing/structure: 48% Sound quality: 65% Originality: 53%