Well worth the wait - 100%

spookycadaver, September 10th, 2019
Written based on this version: 2019, Digital, Prosthetic Records

For years now I have followed Cognizance as they released various EPs and singles which all offered great quality with an unfortunately lack of quantity. Each small release of their's further made me hungrier for a bigger release to sink my teeth into, and finally they announced their first full length. I was absolutely ecstatic and immediately bought the first single they release, "The Organic Citadel" and couldn't be anymore excited! Then there was radio silence. I waited and waited, increasingly impatient until finally their album came out a whole 15 months later. But, boy was this well worth the wait.

To start things off, Cognizance has offered a pretty unique blend of technical death metal, melodic death metal, and some progressive elements here and there. The guitar work of Alex Baillie has always been absolutely TOP NOTCH with many unexpected, but perfectly fitting, melodies that make you go "how the hell did he think to put that there?" This album constantly assaults with a perfect blend of tension, dissonance, and beauty. So many of the guitar parts are simply awe-inspiring.

Henry Pryce's vocals have also vastly improved throughout the years of Cognizance releases. At this point this man has MASTERED his own style of growling, rasping, and screaming. His voice has so many different colors and he knows exactly when each color should be used. This offers a varied experience which many metal records don't treat you with; I will often find myself becoming bored by monotonous vocals through a metal record, but Henry manages to keep it interesting the entire time. I also very much appreciate the two lines of clean vocals on the title track though I am pretty sure they were done by the guest vocalist Ole Børud.

The bass guitar probably has the least to comment on here, mostly because in technical death metal the bass is just the absolute least important instrument (and this is coming from a death metal bassist of 13 years.) With that being said, I appreciate that Chris Binns threw his own parts all throughout the album, the bass doesn't always directly follows the guitar and it makes for some cool parts. The tone is great in the mix and adds for good weight to the string section.

Saving my personal favorite of the album for last: the man, the myth, the legendary David Diepold. His drumming is absolutely phenomenal. Everything that he plays on this album is full of flavor adding his own unique touch to the instrument. When David plays a blast beat, it's not just a blast beat. When he plays a skank beat, it's not just a skank beat. I also greatly appreciate that David has a knack for coming up with parts that fit perfectly, but are not what you expect. He constantly uses patterns that show off his own style, but don't stick out like a sore thumb in the music.

All in all, this is easily my favorite album of the year and I will be listening to this for years to come. I had impossibly high expectations for this release and somehow they have been exceeded. Shame on you if you made it this far in the review since you should've immediately stopped to binge this album like I have been.