Groove Infested Sounds - 73%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, November 27th, 2008

Death Is a Lonely Business marks the definitive groove/thrash metal way of playing by Chakal. The production is now far clearer than the one on The Man Is His Own Jackal and everything sounds always less impulsive, with a prevalent attention for the technique and the form of the songs. The up tempo parts are never derivative or too massive, but always well-balanced and broken by several mid-paced sections where the very first groove elements can be found in the riffage and the palm muting more exactly.

The production exalts the guitars and the vocals. The drums are more audible during the mid-paced sections but the overall production is very good for the period in Brazil. The vocals are always less death/thrash and they are more focused on a groove tonality, without losing that a bit raspy touch, while the timbre is always quite low. The riffs are more precise and fast in alternating the parts, reaching some doom breaks by the middle, like in “Before It’s Late” where the solos are the main thing to add atmosphere. The stop and go by the instruments are well-done and precise even if we cannot stay on the same intensity.

“Choked” sounds like an old thrash metal band that wants to play a sort of more modern style of that genre. The tempo is never fast and we have a lot of more groove influences on the faster riffs. The almost doom parts are a bit redundant and the drums remain on the same pattern. Here what counts the most is the search for a kind of dark melody, in the solos, in the breaks, in the screams and in the general atmosphere. “Fear Of Death” has more galloping riffs but soon they fall into something groove. Also the vocals are more hardcore in style and less thrash; by the way, the general tempo is faster.

“Mind Cries, Body Dies” is the song in which the real, heavy and audible groove elements come out. The violence and the speed are far less present here because those influences erase them all and we can only find a mid-paced progression. “Panic At the Fast Food” is again a mid tempo with faster riffs anyway. After awhile these compositions are very boring, men…I mean, Ok, the riffs are good but the tempo is exaggeratedly slow and groove. I hate groove and I think you know it. If it’s for one or two songs it’s Ok but then stop it! “A Certain Afternoon” is again boring and without ideas, with distorted sounds, noises and stop and go riffs.

The beginning to “Unless Denial To Hear” is more of the same! I cannot think they can’t play in another way just for few seconds! Everything is lame and dull. By the way, the lead lines are this time more convincing and they create a truly gloom atmosphere before restarting on up tempo with a fast bass drum work…finally! However, don’t except too long sections, they last just for few seconds before falling again into groove. Inevitably the last track “Beholder” is mid-paced and groove. Anyway, the best solutions come with the melodic solo.

Overall, this is a decent, grooving piece of late thrash metal. Actually, the elements that make me think to this as a thrash metal album are few but it’s not completely bad. They have the skills, the technique but I’ll never enjoy this damn groove!