SLAMTASTIC!!!! \,,/ - 100%

SlamTilDeath, May 3rd, 2009

Cesspool of Vermin is a brutal death metal band from North Carolina with lyrical themes about necrophilia, gore, bestiality and incest. The band features members from Lust of Decay, Lividity, Shuriken Cadaveric Entwinement and Rupture Christ. I stumbled upon Cesspool of Vermin by chance a few months ago whilst doing a random search on YouTube for brutal bands and this one caught my eye because of their graphic album cover. I thought this band's sound should be interesting, so I played the track called "Formaldehyde Fuckbag" which starts off with a woman asking someone “what are you going to fuck me when I'm dead?" I didn’t know whether to smile or frown but then again nothing really surprises me these days. The music that followed was intense and extremely brutal; there were no pretentious technical guitar riffs which made this pleasingly catchy. I was so impressed that I re-played it again before searching for more songs from the album. Thankfully the other songs were also as good so I bought my copy the very same day through sevared records website.

When I got my copy I played it repeatedly which doesn't happen that often, I obviously had something special. The growling was very low pitched and guttural, the type you won’t be able to decipher at all which is the norm this day and age. Jay Barnes’s vocals are rather distinctive and macabre which complements the brutality of the music. He sounds like an angry beast, the kind you don't want to fuck with! The tonality varies as he uses some deep shrills adding a sense of despair to the atmosphere but for the most part staying ultra aggressive in his guttural delivery.

Derek Haymore handles the guitar and bass exceptionally well and has an endless supply of catchy razor sharp riffs that will hook you and rip you to shreds! On top of that there are break downs galore in every track making this perfect for slamming if that’s what you’re into. The guitar is typically down tuned but to no ill effect as the bass is clearly audible giving the songs more groove which is a bonus. I would say the speeds of the guitars are mid/fast pace, chunky and definitely memorable.

Jordan Varela is amazing; he beats the hell out the skins at lightning fast speeds! If you like rapid double bass then your gonna like this as it's one of the key features in his style. The blast beats and fills are executed perfectly and are used sparingly which avoids it sounding monotonous. Jordan has heaps of energy and skill, definitely one of the most talented drummers out there.

The lyrics are some of the most twisted and perverted I have ever read and I thought Cannibal Corpse were the bench mark for horrific lyrics! Just look at the song titles and you will see what I mean. They look as though they have been written by the most morbidly insane pervert on the planet. I have thought up some really crazy fucked up shit in my time but this is something else. However, the metal is too damn good to even care!

The production must also be praised for the richness in sound quality and for the arrangements of the songs which last on average around three and half minutes. The finished product sounds polished and is definitely something to be proud of. The only issue I have is the volume should have been amplified more when they recorded this because I have other cds that play much louder. If you have a decent stereo this won’t be a problem but on the new iPods for example the maximum setting doesn’t sound loud enough. But that is not an excuse to give it a lower score just amp it up!

If you dig Lust of Decay, Vulvectomy or Lividity and the likes you will also enjoy this brutal slab of slam death metal. There is no filler here and I am not naming favorite tracks because they are all amazing. I highly recommend you add this gem to your collection!