© 2002-2021

Cenotaph - Putrescent Infectious Rabidity - 90%

Orbitball, December 22nd, 2019
Written based on this version: 2010, CD, Sevared Records

The music on here is quite technical. But the album itself it pure brutality. I love it! There is just no letting up on the vocals and aside from excessive growling, there are a lot of screaming on here as well. The guitars are a little hard to hear alongside the music, but still the sound quality is top notch. The drums aren't mixed in the greatest, but the brutality of the album is the highlight to this release. Definitely worth checking out if you're feeling angry and want something to quell that anger. I'm not entirely familiar with all of this band's albums, but this one I chose because it seemed to have a higher rating than other releases.

I have nothing but good things to say about this release. The vocals really make a difference and the guitars are pretty innovative in the riff-writing. They compliment the vocals quite well. I never would get sick of hearing this release. Their song titles are pretty lengthy though the songs aren't very long. Everyone of them are awesome though. Just check it out and you'll hear what I'm talking about. Some really underground shit! The intensity is really high on here as well, you cannot get enough of this once you put it on. It's just purely sick! The tempos vary on here but for the most part they're pretty fast.

If you don't own this album, it's alright, it's on Spotify. You can download it there, then buy the physical copy! Show the band that you support them and what they do musically. It's really an album that you can listen to multiple times and get something different out of it guitar-wise. It blew me away the first time I heard it. This band is still active and making new music. I just steered away from their latest do to ill ratings. I'd rather get something I may like more than something that's just ordinary. Get this one and enjoy the brutality of it! The physical copy should be available on Amazon. Enjoy this brutal music!

Putrescent Infectious Rabidity - 88%

kvomelik, May 7th, 2011

Cenotaph’s Putrescent Infectious Rabidity offers an incredible display of technical, slamming, brutal death metal. I think it’s definitely one of Sevared Record’s top releases and among 2010’s finest in the slam death world.

One reason Cenotaph tower above the average slam death band is their reluctance to include too many chugging riffs and slams. Instead Cenotaph opt for angular, ever-changing technical rhythms while still managing to maintain some groove. Lille Gruber, the drummer for Defeated Sanity, performs session drums and fits Cenotaph perfectly. His ridiculous skill complements the technical nature of the compositions, fluently alternating between 250+ BPM blasts, creative fills, crushing slams, incredible gravity blasts – he does everything right and helps to make this album the beast it is. Cihan Akün matches Gruber’s renowned musicality with his performance on guitar and bass.

Batu Çetin’s vocals are closer to guttural roars than the usual gurgles and grunts, suiting the grinding drums and guitars. His vocals on this album have been criticized for being boring and one-dimensional, but this seems unfair: his primary vocal style is at least as varied as the average slam vocalist. On top of the gutturals he performs sick higher-pitched screams, and his vocal work on the final track “Embryobscure Hypnosis / Womb of Decay” is a highlight, with a mixture of eerie roars and gurgles, reminding me of the disturbing end to Antaeus’s black metal album Blood Libels.

Despite the usual whirling speed and chaos of the album, Cenotaph is not afraid to slow things down – not only for slams, but for atmospheric, drawn-out sections, with slow, jazzy drumming and sustained guitar chords, as in the memorable “Gorenographic Pervert Victimology”. These slow, minimal sections are not exactly common in brutal tech death but work well here, giving the music some depth and showing that there’s nothing formulaic about Cenotaph’s composition.

The production is clear without being overproduced to the point where the quality suffers (think Abysmal Torment’s Omnicide, or to a lesser degree Wormed’s Quasineutrality...); the drum tones are natural, the guitar is thick and present, the bass is audible without being too clangy, and every element has its space in the mix.

This is Cenotaph’s 5th full-length album, and it definitely shows. Not only are they extremely technical and totally sick, but they show the maturity that a lot of slam death lacks. This is how good metal should be; no boring one-minute-plus intros, no stupid movie samples that drive you crazy after the twelfth play. This is no-bullshit musical insanity. Highly recommended.