© 2002-2021

Something for the deathcore kids - 10%

My Rotten Soul, December 2nd, 2019

Cenotaph really is a oddity; a Turkish unit who once upon a time featured a steady lineup and released appalling gore metal albums such as Puked Genital Purulency before frontman Batu Çetin somehow encountered turmoil with constant lineup problems. Without being able to build his guttural vocals around a decent lineup, he founded a last-minute couple of dudes to make a quick album which ended up being Perverse Dehumanized Dysfunctions. Maybe he's not a likable person? I don't know, and in many cases that doesn't matter.

I tried numerous times to really get the appeal behind this record, but I've settled on the fact that the band was trying something majorly different. The earlier gory glory Cenotaph days are definitely over, and this more-accessible safe-sounding Cenotaph that Çetin had to build around entirely new musicians who play a style of death metal that resembles the band's original style as little as possible.

What do we have here; crystal clean sounding guitar lines which rarely ever play anything interesting, decent sounding drums and thick-heavy bass guitar. The bass is definitely the shining element here, and man it really sucks that such a awesome bass guitar performance is gone to waste on such a mediocre album. The thing that annoys me the most is that there's so many spastic filler-riffs which go into absolutely nothingness which happens on here half the time. More often than not, when a enjoyable part starts, my interest is quickly diminished when these awkward weird riffs start taking over which happens way too often.

Çetin's vocals are the only other part besides the bass which I found myself liking a bit, but the fact that he's so buried behind every other instrument makes that just another disappointment. Don't really have much else to say, being that I'm a fan of their earlier albums and this sounds like a completely different band... er I mean IS a completely different band I should say... is a disappointment in every way. This sounds like something that a person who listens to Infant Annihilator would like and being that there's some newer high-scream vocals it only further supports that notion.

Rough-edged brutality - 95%

deathmetal69_, December 2nd, 2019

I never really dug into this album until a few months ago when I finally gave it a full proper listen, and my god, this blew me away! Aside from then, the only time I heard this album is when I was just getting into Cenotaph, where at that time I had only been interested in the albums Puked Genital Purulency, Reincarnation in Gorexctasy, and Putrescent Infectious Rabidity; where for when it came to this album, I only skimmed a few songs and didn't think much of it.

This album is straight fire from beginning to end. This album has a heavy-staticy-raw vibe, and it's all over the place, in your face, relentless, and very brutal indeed! The drums in my opinion are the best part about this album. They have a pummeling raw brutal sound, the kick drum sounds just perfect, and the playing is full of skill. The gravity blasts are super satisfying. Aside from the constant blast beats and fills, the drummer implements some jazzy patterns and structures sometimes as well, which makes for a great listening experience. Most the songs on here got your usual BDM drumming, along with some catchy and cool little drum patterns and stuff. Very very awesome. My favorite song is definitely Rancid Gluttonous Morbid Obesity, great track that pretty much shows the listener how the entire album is gonna be; perfect opener and introduction.

Guitars sound great. Along with the drums they got a raw vibe that also sounds slightly grindy and loose. The riffs are great, and the musical content presented here isn't tedious nor boring. Every song is original and easy to differentiate between, every riff on every track is new and awesome. The album has a handful of fun and enjoyable riffs to hear! Not a single bad song here. The vocals done by sole original remaining member Batu are still great, just as they were when the band first debuted. His vocals on past albums have had more of a late era Disgorge sound, like how the vocals are on Parallels of Infinite Torture, but with some more girth, guttural vibes, and strength. On this record he still sounds just as good, but he changes it up a little. It's more growl-based and less guttural and meaty. Change is good, and the subtle change in his vocals here are cool.

Overall, every area and aspect of this album is awesome and doesn't fail or lack power. You got your heaviness which is accompanied by awesome songs, great instrumentation, consistency; everything enjoyable is here. May not be your average Cenotaph, but the style changes on every album. Perverse Dehumanized Dysfunctions is definitely their most rough record, but it's just as enjoyable as all the others. This album legitimately makes me feel happy and energetic. It's incredibly catchy and upon listen it'll keep calling you back for more once you're finished with it. All the songs are nutty and every member does their part greatly! Can't find a single negative part about this release anywhere at all. AWESOME ASS album!

The band hadn't put out an album in 7 years, and with a huge comeback releasing an album like Perverse Dehumanized Dysfunctions, the band has proven that they're still brutal, active, and not dead. Every second of this album is enjoyable, fun, and once again; brutal. If you're on the search for some good newer brutal death metal, or are just a fan in general of this genre, I definitely recommend this album right here. Cenotaph are and will remain the Turkish kings of brutality!