Sorrow Makes Happy - 100%

JELGAB, September 26th, 2006

You know, I really think this album is totally underrated. I’m a great admirer of the second wave of doom metal (called also death-doom) for 12 years, and I swear you that this is one of the doom’est achievements ever, in one line of My Dying Bride’s “Turn Loose the Swans” and “Angel and the Dark River”, Anathema’s “The Silent Enigma”, and Tiamat’s “Wildhoney”. And I’m not Dutch.

So you ask me why is this album celestial? I’ll try, but as doom’s weapons are not technical or level of aggression, it’s not so easy to argue.

Their playing is ok, look as you like. Thick riffs, elegant use of instruments, rich orchestration, and deep vocals etc. And overall – the taste – this little thing is so often more important than talent and technical skills. Celestial Season perfectly manage to be loving, but not sweet, depressive, but not hurling, heavy, but not posing, slow, but not broken. Vocals are darkly calm, sometimes whispering, and this silent expression sometimes -sometimes- seems to be stronger than existential mourning of Aaron from My Dying Bride.

Celestial Season make you doomed not pushing, but haunting with tenderness. Don’t misunderstand me, the album is not soft, for it’s really heavy, but at the same time it can make you cry, and a crying metalhead is a good metalhead. Or isn’t the beauty of sorrow the target of all the second wave of doom?

Those who get their fun from being sad are welcome to join Solar Lovers.

Plus there's some great guitar work.