Damn, that's refreshing... - 87%

IrishDeathgrip, February 21st, 2008

Live Cannibalism... a multi-layered release by a pretty well-known death metal band. Oh, how this live album was a blessing. You see, before this, we didn't know what to expect from Cannibal Corpse in a live setting. Oh sure, maybe you bought Monolith of Death, but that was a video full of bootleg footage sent in by fans. And, alright, maybe you saw them live.

But for those of us who didn't, and wanted something definitive, that captured every positive aspect of their live performance... well, hello Live Cannibalism.

We kick it off with a new twist on an old song... Staring Through the Eyes of the dead. I am always skeptical when Corpsegrinder is preparing to sing a Barnes classic, but lemme tell you... I was fairly impressed. He did this song much justice. Then we've got another high point directly behind this one... Blowtourch Slaughter... this is a brilliant song, and it was based on this alone that I bought the Bloodthirst album. Live, it is greatly rehashed with slightly more agression.

Then we have four more Barnes-era songs, most of which are done impressively, with the exception of Stripped, Raped and Strangled... not a favorite of mine, and definitely not on this recording. Two more songs off of Bloodthirst, each done in a great way. It sounds just live enough to remind you that it is a concert, but not so haphazardly performed to make you sure you're at a Battle of the Bands.

And then, the greatest back to back combo in the history of Cannibal Corpse... Gallery of Suicide/Meat-hook Sodomy. Oh jeez, these two together are the high point of this performance. There is a great juxtaposition, as Gallery of Suicide tends to be a slower song, with a few fast moments, and Meat-Hook Sodomy tends to be a faster song with a few slow moments... and both of them are downright creepy. Corpsegrinder does Meat Hook some real justice here, and I can honestly say that I enjoyed it nearly as much as the original.

The rest of the album is more of the same... some greatness, some less than greatness. Hammer Smashed Face is more or less the same song it' always been, and the vocals are the only real change (aside from the custom 'live bass' that Alex inserts on all performances of the song).

High points include - Blowtourch Slaughter, Gallery/Meat-Hook, Devoured by Vermin
Low points include - Skull Full of Maggots, Stripped Raped and Strangled, The Spine Splitter