Does not deserve the hatred - 85%

CannibalCorpse, August 5th, 2007

Cannibal Corpse is a band that has to withstand a lot of criticism when it comes to this album. People say its underproduced, uninspired and a “stain” in CCs discography. I don’t get it. What’s wrong with these people? Some of them blame the loss of Rob Barret for a lack of “memorable riffs” and “song structures”, but while Rob is definitely a great guitar player, Jack Owen was the most consistently delivering force in Cannibal Corpse; To cut a long story short, I see no lack of memorable riffs or lame song structures; riff and songwriting mastery - that’s one part of the formula that hasn’t changed since the modulation in sound with the arrival of George “Corpsegrinder” Fisher.

“Gallery of Suicide” is definitely a strong effort, featuring gut-wrenching vocal work by Fisher, whose tremendous vocal skills have steadily improved over the years, an increased technical proficiency in all aspects – drums, guitars and bass - and a slightly melodic touch in Owen’s leadwork.

While its true that “Gallery of Suicide” suffers from a rather wacky production job, it’s nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. The guitars do suffer from a slightly “wet” sound, but as an avid black metal fan, this is not much of a concern to me, since this aspect does actually enhance the evil atmosphere and sound of Owen’s lead guitar. This is the only gripe that I see as being understandable. The drums sound as well produced and tight as ever, the bass is clearly audible, as is Fisher’s guttural vocal work. “Gallery of Suicide” might not pack as much punch as outstanding works like “Bloodthirst” and “Kill” but it makes up for it for the yet unmatched atmosphere and feel it possesses.

The highlights are songs like the excellently grooving “Sentenced to Burn”, the sinister and evil title track and the brutal and pounding “I Will Kill You”. Also worthy of praise is the first CC instrumental at the time “From Skin to Liquid” which further enhances the evil leanings of the title track.

“Gallery of Suicide” might not be as good as the outstanding albums before (“Vile) and after it (“Bloodthirst”), but it’s definitely a unique piece of CCs discography.

If you still doubt the quality of this album, you should at least give it a shot; chances are you might enjoy this as much as I do.