Cannibal Corpse - Gallery of Suicide - 90%

Orbitball, March 5th, 2015
Written based on this version: 1998, CD, Metal Blade Records

In aghast honesty, I've never been a huge fan of this band, but will say that I respect some of their work, especially this one. I like some brutal death metal which is what they represent -- well established in the metal community for the past several years in existence. 'Gallery of Suicide' captures their brutal death sound with chunk laden guitar activity whizzing all in various arrays of significance. From beginning to finish these guys hit home here with a solid, well put together album. They take their guitars and tune them down to B-flat, making that heavy, distorted sound with musical compositions that embrace you alongside "Corpsegrinder's"lyrical tyranny including a vocal onslaught.

What distinguishes this album from their previous others is the fact that it touches on major musical progression featuring compilations of sounds that include heavy palm-muted riffs with tremolo (fast) picking, tapping sequences on the fretboard, innovation of ideology in composing musical supposition and genuinely original extremity of idealization. Their earlier work featured more thrash oriented licks alongside deeper vocals as there was a different vocalist (Chris Barnes) and they seemed to have experimented a lot -- their first 3 albums were brutal death metal like this, but the musical style meaning their combining thrash metal guitar with death voice changed on 'The Bleeding' and on here is different also. Not only did they change vocalists for the better, they thickened their whole entire sound.

The band I would say progressed, sort of regressed then progressed again especially on here. I didn't bother reading any of the current reviews of this album, just the ratings and my contention is that musically this album features something that is quite moving -- a progression, not only with the music, but variation on the vocals as well. You get their thick and heavy sound which most songs here contain fast paced phenomenon, but also catch the listener off-guard with a slow instrumental. There is a combination of intensity, brilliance in the riff-writing, aggressive vocals spewing out gore lyrics, and drum-work that's tight which fits with the music as well as the final outro on the album.

Essence is key when writing successful albums -- here, Cannibal Corpse gives you that. The production quality was magnificent and the music was entirely original. Taking influences on extreme music then conducting songs that seem to entice a number of listeners, making the fans look at brutal death metal in a whole different category...a category that is in a league of its' own. You can hear everything going on here including the guitars, the drums, the vocals and the sound in the recording came out triumphant. This is one underrated album. I don't see why the scores here are in the lower range because it deserves so much more. I'm not saying flattery, I'm saying recognition.

This one is NOT boring, but interesting. Lyrically it has no value to me, but musically it covers a heathen of dynamics and inspirational riffs especially for guitarists. This is one to own that will not, cannot be dull and if it is to that particular listener, then this band is not for you. The music on here captures all different avenues of musical triumph -- originality, intelligibility, technicality and variety. I think this band with this album can inspire because the music is what is so owning to the listener. What exists in the brutal death metal community is 'Gallery of Suicide', a triumph in musical exploratory genius. These guys slay and this album should be owned by all fans because it's in a league of its' own!

Underrated - 84%

6CORPSE6GRINDER6, October 19th, 2012

Cannibal Corpse music has always gone in the same direction: straightforward death metal. Their earlier albums featured a conventional use of song structures and riffs weren’t especially technical but their punch and aggressiveness made everyone’s day. Album after album they managed to become more and more adventurous musically. This album, the second release after Chris Barnes being kicked out and the addition of Corpsegrinder, even if it’s not their best is not bad at all either, and it’s criminally underrated. There is not one good reason to hate this if you are into death metal, that's for sure.

The use of more drastic tempo changes as in the instrumental “From Skin to Liquid”, some relaxed chord/arpeggio section (as in the beginning of the title track, “Gallery Of Suicide”) are some of the few but still memorable new elements incorporated by the band to this album. Some really awkward high pitched riffing, like the break down before the end of “Blood Drenched Execution”, very uncommon in death metal –always close to the low end, with saturated distortions and bass oriented equalizations- set a different tense and dissonant mood that breaks with the overall brutal and dark atmosphere Cannibal Corpse use to display, adding more textures to the music. Gallery of Suicide is not a revolution in the band’s sound, but the riffing without being highly innovative is fresh, even more than in their preceding effort I would dare to say. It’s undeniable that they stepped up to a whole new level of complexity too, riffing is more syncopated and attractive than it was before. All of this happens without compromising the evil and accelerated climate that governs their music. The use of 7 string guitars is another variation to their classic era sound, lower tones in guitars may not be a synonym of heaviness but it darkens enormously songs. They used them on Vile too, but I think they finally figured out how to use them better on this album. Fast paced tremolo riffs can get blurred by the extremely low tuning making them illegible, this little issue was corrected on this album.

Production is way more polished that it was on Vile, guitar distortion is not so raw but is still sharp and mindblowing. Bass guitar sounds louder, not as loud and crunchy as on the classic albums but it still adds some extra heaviness to the guitar riffs, which slay as always. Drums can be fully heard and appreciated, the hi-hat has too much treble for my taste but that’s my only complaint, the recording sounds amazing anyway. The last thing I want to point out is Paul Mazurkiewicz evolution behind the drum kit. On “Eaten Back to Life” for example, you can hear him delivering a demolishing performance but it isn’t exact. There are some fast drum beats were the bass drum and the snare are totally coordinated and even but if you listen closely you will notice cymbals go along with them in another tempo and at the end of the riff he tries to hide the mistakes, getting to next riff in the correct time. As time have passed he have corrected this, and even if he isn’t the most talented and creative drummer in death metal at least he is a machine now, nailing every note where it goes.

Their first album in which the music = the hype - 85%

autothrall, October 23rd, 2009

I'm in the minority when it comes to Cannibal Corpse. I find many of their earlier albums passable, occasionally even enjoyable, but I don't think they really hit their stride until they added George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher to the lineup. Not only do I prefer his vocals to Chris Barnes, but the band seemed to have stepped it up musically, to create not only more complex songs, but more memorable, evil riffs. Vile was a step in the right direction, but aside from The Bleeding, consider this the first truly 'great' Corpse album, and it still remains one of their best.

There are 14 tracks here, each is an exercise in both brutality and a passion for roots death metal riffing with a focus on evil. "I Will Kill You" starts us off with a rather profound truth, because that is just what this record is going to do. "Disposal of the Body" features a classic Corpse 'trill' riff but is also fast. "Sentenced to Burn" is a brutal thrasher. The title track is perhaps the most memorable here with its eerie intro riff, alternating in a kickass old school death metal verse worthy of old Death. This is but a taste, of course, all the songs are worthy.

Alex Webster's busy bass is a real anchor for the riff orgy being unleashed, and the album is the perfect setup for its successor, Bloodthirst, which in my opinion their masterpiece. But this is the first Cannibal album I would find myself listening through completely, and then pressing repeat. Though they were already massively popular by this point, this is where I first felt the musical output lived up to the hype.

-autothrall

Not the best, but far from horrid - 79%

The_Emo_Hater, October 14th, 2009

Well....seems Gallery of Suicide gets alot of hate, and for different reasons I might add. Some say the production is shit, others point out that the songs themselves are boring and what have you, and many have called this the low point in the discograpy of Cannibal Corpse. While Gallery is far from the band's best (that honor goes to Bloodthirst), this is still a solid offering from Alex and company.

Alrighty then, the production. Okay, it's muddy sounding compared to say, Gore Obsessed or even some Barnes-era offerings. This was CC's first album without longtime producer Scott Burns and he had a signature sound of sorts, so yeah, it's gonna sound different. But the production fits, the riffs can be made out, the bass is clearly audible and the drums don't sound like trash cans a la St. Anger so I can live with that.

On to the songs. I'm not gonna do a track-by-track here so I'll just point out some of the highlights. "I Will Kill You" starts the disc off with some fade-in feedback before erupting into the typical fast-paced Cannibal Corpse opening track. Next song "Disposal of the Body" shows off Fisher's rapid fire vocal delivery before ending with a solo. I'm mentioning "Dismembered and Molested" only because the title and lyrics made me laugh my balls off the first time I heard it. Musically, it's a short (under 2 minutes as are "Disposal" and a yet to be discussed track) and fast cut (pun unintended) about cutting someone open and basically blowing your wad on their insides. Just makes your mouth water, huh? Time for pie.

"From Skin to Liquid". The highlight of Gallery, the second instrumental from Cannibal Corpse, and one of the best death metal instrumentals ever written. Yeah, there's only a few riffs, yeah, it's slower than jizz dribbling down a mirror, and yeah, it gets repetitive, but that's why it works. Cannibal Corpse had never written anything like this before and it sticks the fuck out amongst everything else on Gallery of Suicide. "Centuries of Torment" is probably the doomiest song on the album besides the instrumental but tends to get a little boring. The closing cut "Crushing the Despised" is the yet to be discussed track mentioned above. I like the riffs, the drumming is rapid and there's even a bass solo in there. So what's wrong with it? The songs is too short and feels incomplete. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, and then it fades out. What the fuck? Ends the albums on a decent but unfulfilling note.

There's really no lowlights but some of the songs tends to just go through one ear, out the other. I've owned Gallery for ten years now and I still don't remember every riff from, say, "Every Bone Broken". Other than that and the fact that some of the songs feel unfinished, Gallery of Suicide is a worthy purchase for anyone into Cannibal Corpse, at least the Fisher-era stuff.

Where the band grew up musically! - 100%

grimdoom, October 4th, 2007

From some reason the people on Metal-Archives have a habit of blasting great albums. Perhaps it’s because the album in question doesn’t fit the mold of the bands prior releases, or perhaps they want said band/album to sound identical to everything else they’ve ever done. Whatever the reason, this is CC’s finest moment, and the beginning of their development as one of the better Death Metal bands around.

The first thing you experience is the far from standard album cover. This is a departure for CC as it doesn’t have their trademark zombie/monster, but rather it has a long hallway with “normal” people seeing where “real” people have either committed suicide or are in the process of. This is perhaps the bands most shocking to date.

The music on the other hand is even more shocking. While not their fastest work, over all the guitars are incredibly heavy and unexpectedly grind happy. The riffs from any song are presented with a bludgeoning and hate filled intensity. The few leads/solos that are there only add to the bitter rage that is the sound of this cd.

The bass and drums do they’re usual good job of following the guitars. There is nothing to noteworthy from either. The vocals on the other hand are a testament to the bands best career move, the firing of Chris Barnes. Corpsegrinder does an amazing job and shows why he out classes Barnes.

This is somewhat of an experimental album as we see CC’s first instrumental (hear ‘From Skin to Liquid) as well as a few slow songs. Take the title track for example, it’s the slowest thing the band has ever done. This is a tasteful track that starts slow and at the half way point hits the break neck speeds we’re familiar with.

This is a very mature album for a Gore/Death Metal band for a few reasons. First off, it’s brutal as hell, but yet refined; but while refined however, it’s still far from polished. The band (FINALLY) experiment with slower tempos and lay the ground work for their next 5+ releases. They also start to work with more technical riffs.

One cannot say enough about how good this recording is. The fact that so many reviews here are so unwarrantedly dismissive is criminal. This is the best thing the band has ever done.

"I Will Bore You!" - 59%

DawnoftheShred, October 4th, 2007

With a genre so focused on aggression and brutality as death metal, you’d think that it’d be somewhat difficult for a band to create an album that fails to engage the listener in a fit of headbanging mania. Cannibal Corpse, prior to 1998, had twice achieved this seeming impossibility with their Butchered at Birth and Tomb of the Mutilated albums. But with the addition of George Fisher to the band’s lineup and a generally badass album with Vile, it seemed like the band were on an upswing, never to release a boring album again. Alas, it was not meant to be. Gallery of Suicide, the follow-up to Vile, is unimpressive indeed, with only a few choice cuts keeping it from a total comatose-inducing lack of good ideas.

Now although I’m certainly not going to sing this album’s praises, I certainly don’t consider it a ‘stain’ in the band’s discography. After all, only like half of their output to date is worth listening to, keeping even a mediocre effort like this in fairly good standing when compared to some of their earlier/later work. But it’s a general consensus that this album is the first dip in Cannibal Corpse’s quality. Some attribute this to the loss of Rob Barrett, replaced by ex-Nevermore guitarist Pat O’Brien. This would be a mistake, as the songs are still written in the same vein as those on The Bleeding and Vile and O’Brien actually proves himself to be a much better lead player than Barrett. Others attribute the problem to be the production. Well the production is fine: the bass is perfectly mixed and there is a very unique atmosphere to the album (the title track is a good example, as is “From Skin to Liquid”). Still others blame the presence of George Fisher. But Fisher isn’t the problem, as he sounds just like he did on Vile, which is still tremendously better than if Chris Barnes was singing here. No, the problem lies in a general inconsistency between the album’s various songs.

On one hand, you have some of the most unique material the band has released up to this point in time. “From Skin to Liquid,” the instrumental, is long and fucking slow. But the doomy atmosphere produced chills to the bone, establishing it as one of the album’s standout tracks. The title track creates a similar effect, alternating between the tension of the main riff and the groove of the heavier verse/chorus sections. But on the other hand, you have a bevy of generic CC-style death metal filler tracks that neither excite nor disgust. Same goes for the lyrical content, which is pretty lightweight compared to their earlier material. Some of the faster ones are still somewhat innovative (“Disposal of the Body,” “Dismembered and Molested”), but the rest of the album is very disorganized, very unremarkable, standard issue Cannibal Corpse. Album opener “I Will Kill You” is a fine example of this. Somehow praised by CC fans as a band classic, it pummels forth at the same unrelenting tempo for more than the first half of the song, using and reusing the same couple riffs. I’d say at least 2/3 of these tracks are comparatively uninteresting in this vein.

Big fans of Fisher-era Corpse might dig this anyway, but it’s mostly fucking boring coming from the supposed gods of brutal death that just a few year prior gave us Vile. They’d get their mojo back by Bloodthirst, but in ’98, this album offered little hope that they’d do anything but continue to decline into the abyss of death metal mediocrity they seemed to be descending towards.

Originally written for: http://www.metal-observer.com

Does not deserve the hatred - 85%

CannibalCorpse, August 5th, 2007

Cannibal Corpse is a band that has to withstand a lot of criticism when it comes to this album. People say its underproduced, uninspired and a “stain” in CCs discography. I don’t get it. What’s wrong with these people? Some of them blame the loss of Rob Barret for a lack of “memorable riffs” and “song structures”, but while Rob is definitely a great guitar player, Jack Owen was the most consistently delivering force in Cannibal Corpse; To cut a long story short, I see no lack of memorable riffs or lame song structures; riff and songwriting mastery - that’s one part of the formula that hasn’t changed since the modulation in sound with the arrival of George “Corpsegrinder” Fisher.

“Gallery of Suicide” is definitely a strong effort, featuring gut-wrenching vocal work by Fisher, whose tremendous vocal skills have steadily improved over the years, an increased technical proficiency in all aspects – drums, guitars and bass - and a slightly melodic touch in Owen’s leadwork.

While its true that “Gallery of Suicide” suffers from a rather wacky production job, it’s nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. The guitars do suffer from a slightly “wet” sound, but as an avid black metal fan, this is not much of a concern to me, since this aspect does actually enhance the evil atmosphere and sound of Owen’s lead guitar. This is the only gripe that I see as being understandable. The drums sound as well produced and tight as ever, the bass is clearly audible, as is Fisher’s guttural vocal work. “Gallery of Suicide” might not pack as much punch as outstanding works like “Bloodthirst” and “Kill” but it makes up for it for the yet unmatched atmosphere and feel it possesses.

The highlights are songs like the excellently grooving “Sentenced to Burn”, the sinister and evil title track and the brutal and pounding “I Will Kill You”. Also worthy of praise is the first CC instrumental at the time “From Skin to Liquid” which further enhances the evil leanings of the title track.

“Gallery of Suicide” might not be as good as the outstanding albums before (“Vile) and after it (“Bloodthirst”), but it’s definitely a unique piece of CCs discography.

If you still doubt the quality of this album, you should at least give it a shot; chances are you might enjoy this as much as I do.

Revolting - 38%

GuntherTheUndying, October 22nd, 2006

It's only a matter of time before a great band puts out a poor record. Cannibal Corpse was able to dodge such bad luck by releasing five albums that received large amounts of positive feedback, but their streak had to end sometime. After the release of "Vile" in 1996, Cannibal Corpse went back into writing mode and recorded the most dreadful album of their career. After all those classic albums, Cannibal Corpse finally released "Gallery Of Suicide," an album that stinks as much as a rotting corpse.

If one object in our crazy world could relate to the music on "Gallery Of Suicide," it would be a knot. That's right folks, a knot. A knot is a piece of string that is just randomly put together; a knot doesn't having a starting point, nor does it have an end point, it's just a big mess, and that's exactly what "Gallery Of Suicide" sounds like. Most of the songs are composed of crazy death metal riffs, blastbeats, messed up vocal patterns, and the occasional solo. This unorthodox song writing style builds up to be a huge pile of shit. If one track demonstrates this the best, it's gotta be "Blood Drenched Execution." At about a minute and forty five seconds into the song, these horrendous random riffs and blastbeats come in and completely throw off the mood of the track. It seriously sounds like they decided to play a bunch of random notes and call it good.

A lot of the songs that are properly formatted are plagued with severe musical overkill. Once on riff starts, it doesn't change until the song finally ends. "Chambers Of Blood" is probably the most disappointing song on the album because of this. The riff sounds very different and original, but it gets really boring after being played countless times. "Disposal Of The Body," "Dismembered And Molested," and "Crushing The Despised" are boring tunes that were clearly made to add space to the album. Like "Chambers Of Blood," they all repeat until the end.

Despite some poor vocal patterns, George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher is able to have a decent vocal show. Corpsegrinder adds a lot to this poor album because of his spectacular vocals. Just like any Corpsegrinder album, his growls reach deep into the ground and add tons of energy to the music. His voice gets annoying on "Blood Drenched Execution" when he operates some high pitched vocals, but most of his growls are praiseworthy. Like I said before, some of his vocals are badly misplaced, but he does a nice job overall.

Aside from the many negative aspects of this album, there are a few moments of clarity that help soften the blow. "I Will Kill You" is a classic Cannibal Corpse track that has great riffs and striking vocals. "Sentenced To Burn" has some solid riffing and a great dueling solo. "From Skin To Liquid" is an interesting instrumental with a doomy, yet kind of technical riff; this riff repeats for a majority of the song, so it tends to get boring after a few listens, but it's still a fun track. These three tracks are the only passable moments on "Gallery Of Suicide."

Out of complete honesty, this album is simply revolting. Out of the entire Cannibal Corpse catalog, this one strikes me as their worst. Unless you love Cannibal Corpse, you shouldn't even think about buying this.

This review was orginally written for: http://www.Thrashpit.com

Sentenced to make a (very) bad album... - 20%

PazuzuZlave, November 21st, 2005

What’s up with this, really? First of all, Cannibal Corpse have never been known for their mixing or production of their albums, but this has gone way over the line. As opener “I Will Kill You” enters, one begins to question if this really is the same band that put out quite violent sounding records, and made it sound really brutal. It’s as if they’ve gone for the subwoofer generation instead of thinking about the overall sound. Everything sounds blurry, and you can hardly make out what is going on. The mixing is ok, but it doesn’t save it from being badly produced.

Next, the song material is weak compared to their former outlettings. A few songs stand out, like “Sentenced to Burn” & “Headless”. The former mentioned is very simple, with its main riff driving it forward. It’s actually one of those songs which sound quite violent at times, and they made a killer video for it as well. “Headless” is worth mentioning for its weird structure, and different tempo style. Speaking of which, the drums sound identical on every track. This is, in my opinion, an issue that Cannibal Corpse have always had, but here it tends to be even more repetitive as almost every goddamn song is boring.

Maybe they thought they didn’t succeed so well with “Vile” that they just had to put something different out on the market after that one. In that case they made a huge mistake. Nevertheless, “Gallery of Suicide” reeks of noise instead of music, monotone tones instead of atmosphere and most importantly, ugliness instead of beauty. After this one, they got it right. It’s a shame that they ever released this when they could’ve released an E.P. based on Sentenced to burn instead.

Boooooring. - 72%

Snxke, June 2nd, 2004

Cannibal Corpse had a lot to prove after Vile. This CD was to prove that the record sales, billboard chart position, and media-attention were not just products of the fued/creative force of Chris Barnes but instead a reaction to a deeply improved product from the CC party. Sadly, this was not the case under any circumstances...

This CD is an relentless display of all-talent-no-creativity. The opening few songs show some great promise, but the overall nature of the CD is mindless and grinding. Who needs sixty minutes of terriblly composed blast-beats that contain no build, no ebb/flow and little attention to melody? "Gallery of Suicide" and a few others show a great attention to melody that the previous releases lacked and the vocals are qaulity (if not terribly typical) death metal grunts, but all in all this CD lacks anything unique, catchy or vibrant to add to the morass of death metal that is constantly being vomited to the marketplace.

The band on this release, seems to have cooked up some stellar artwork, yet also seems to have fallen asleep musically. Quick single note scale changes, blasting drums and increasinly tepid death metal lyrics hardly inspire the soul to go out and kill. This CD...actually...encourages me to go and take a nap, as most of the riffcraft has reduced is just that damned boring.

Cannibal Corpse were in creative freefall at this point, living on strong musicianship and a 'legacy of brutality' that would carry them through dull release after dull release until they vomited forth the power "The Wretched Spawn" album.

If you're a hardcore fan you probably have no other choice but to purchase this...if you aren't...well...don't even bother.