An overlooked masterpiece - 100%

SinCaptor95, July 23rd, 2014

In 1994, Cannibal Corpse released Tomb Of The Mutilated, and despite a ton of controversy regarding the album cover and lyrical content, it was hailed as one of the best death metal albums of all time. Since then, the band hasn't seemed to ever put out a release that would ever receive such acclaim. It's a real shame, because I personally think that Bloodthirst is by far their greatest effort. While Tomb is a solid slice of death metal, Bloodthirst feels more varied and doesn't suffer from some songs sounding "same-y" to each other. Every song on this album is distinguishable and very memorable, and when you have 11 tracks, that's definitely an accomplishment.

One of the most notable things about Bloodthirst is the production. This is one of the best, if not best, sounding albums that the band has ever put out. Aside from the bass sounding a bit quiet compared to everything else in the mix, everything manages to come together and sound absolutely amazing. When the bass is there, it sounds great. This shouldn't really come as much of a surprise knowing that this is Alex Webster we're talking about. The guitars sound very polished as opposed to how muddy they sounded on Vile and Gallery Of Suicide. This might even be my favorite guitar sound out of all of Cannibal's releases. The drum sound has a great punch to it, and the amount of time that was spent on getting the sound right was definitely worth it in the end. As for the vocals by Corpsegrinder, I can't stress enough how good he sounds here. Where he sounded a bit muffled by comparison on the past 2 albums, the production of Bloodthirst makes him sound clearer than ever. When he's barking out 100 words per minute, it sounds fantastic. His screams are also the best that they have ever sounded, and that is an understatement as to how much I love them. Listen to the chorus in Pounded Into Dust and you'll know what I mean.

The musicianship is just as impressive as the production. It's not the most technical playing you'll ever hear, but it's still pretty great. When the band is playing fast in songs like the first track, it's hard to not want to just let loose and headbang for the song's brief 2 minute length. When the band is playing grooves in songs like The Spine Splitter, trying to get those riffs out of your head is damn near impossible. The execution of it all is great, to say the least. Each song feels different and unique, and not just for the album, but for all of Cannibal's discography. Have you ever looked through a band's albums and noticed a song or two that you remember liking but you can't remember anything specific about them? That's not the case with Bloodthirst. Every song is so well executed and so memorable that it begs to be replayed. With a length of 34 and a half minutes, listening to it in it's entirety is a piece of cake and you'll be surprised by how fast it moves by because you're enjoying the music so much. With that being said, I think this is Cannibal Corpse's Reign In Blood as far as production, length, and replay value are concerned.

It's a real shame that this album doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. There's not a single complaint that I have with it other than it ends. Finding a perfect album is a rare occasion for me, but I really do think that Bloodthirst is one of those albums. Amazing production, 11 consistently strong tracks, and endless replay value makes it not only my favorite Cannibal Corpse album, but also one of my favorite albums of all time.